Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,602   Online: 1197

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Out Of Date Film Experiences

Hi

If the following ebay offer is taken as being true (out of date May 05 but refrigeration stored as quoted), do you think it will be okay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-ROLLS-OF-FU...QQcmdZViewItem

I understand that there is no guarantee, but it does seem quite tempting.

Regards

Darryl

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i have been using expired film for 3 years now. no problem at all. i use slide, color, and B&W. i have used slide film that was 3 years old with no problems. i just got a whole boat load of 16 year old 4x5 film the other day. the tri x, t max and the kodak 64 E6 are all fine!!!! i can not believe it myself! (oh! and they were NOT properly stored! they came out of a garage in upstage NY!) i also have some 8x10 that came with this that i have yet to test. i am assuming they are fine too! enjoy shooting expired film. it sure save alot. i also deal with collect888.com. all his stuff works beautifully! maybe i should stop telling everyone this.....that would leave more film for me! lol!

eddie

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie gunks
    i have been using expired film for 3 years now. no problem at all. i use slide, color, and B&W. i have used slide film that was 3 years old with no problems.
    eddie

That's interesting because this item is also available

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/80-ROLLS-OF-FU...QQcmdZViewItem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd say the refrigerated Astia that expired in 2005 (the first auction) is a pretty safe bet.

You might see some loss of Dmax and color shift in a medium speed color slide film that expired in 2001 (the second auction), depending on storage. If it was frozen, it's probably good. If it was refrigerated at a higher temperature, it's more of a gamble.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    A while ago I bought about 30 rolls of expired film on eBay. Most of the rolls weren't marked with expiration dates (they were in plastic film cans, but not in boxes), and IIRC the seller said they had been refrigerated. It was an odd lot -- store brand (mostly rebadged Ferrania) color negative film, Kodak and Fuji color negative film, a few rolls of B&W (both conventional and C-41), and one or two rolls of Kodak E6 slide film. So far it's all seemed OK, with the possible exception of one roll of Agfa APX 400, which had very high base+fog levels. (That might have been processing, though; I'd never used APX 400 before then.) The worst thing is that many of these rolls come through processing with some wicked film curl. I bought the film so I'd have a supply of cheap "junk" rolls to use for testing new cameras, etc., but at this point I'd be willing to use it for real photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use out of date films quite a bit for various projects, the majority of it is chrome film, with the exception of maybe two or three rolls over the years, I have never had any color shift problems and such, I currently have about a dozen bulk rolls of velvia 50 in the freezer and the first few 36 exposure rolls I have loaded and had processed have came out fine with no problems, and the bulk I am loading from right now expired in 1997, the key is, has it been properly stored? So far the films I have purchased off ebay have not been bad.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only problem I've ever had with expired film was a roll I bought out of a store window in Alexandria, Egypt in 1987 that had expired in 1980. it was TriX and I'm sure it had never seen a refrigerator.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some kodak ektachrome 64 from 2003 was a bit less bright when I used it about a month ago. (less transparant.) But I am not sure how it was stored before I got my hands on it.

Although I am not sure about this it seems E6 goes faster than C41 or most B&W films.

cheers!
    Quinten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes I do Lyrrad, bite their hand off !

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    Yes I do Lyrrad, bite their hand off !

I have bought 20 rolls and may consider another 20.

For those based in UK

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRO-PROCESSING...QQcmdZViewItem

I use these guys on a regular basis, and they are extremely approachable. I send them a cheque for £24.00. I then have 2 free deliveries for 10 rolls to be developed. (I think we agreed a surcharge of £1.00 per extra delivery, but I have never needed this facility).

I post this here because they have told me they would be happy to offer the same deal to anyone else.

So I am now able to shoot and process E6 35mm@36 exposures for £3.27 per roll. I think I'm doing alright and wish to share this with anyone that might be interested. Of course I'm always willing to listen to better offers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin