Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,738   Posts: 1,515,535   Online: 1067

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Comparison of E6 Film types and filtration

Some APUG members may be aware that I have been experimenting with the use of Tungsten film and an 85C filter in the landscape. I have recently tried a different variation where I added a Lee Glass Enhancing filter. The results are interesting and so I have made a composite picture which I have posted in the Technical gallery entitled Comparison of film types

The scans are accurately adjusted to the transparency on the lightbox and the eagle eyed will see the annoying streaking which my temperamental processor has kindly produced on 2 of the images. The text is supposed to minimise confusion about what was used in each image. The shots were taken in reasonably close succession.

This is still very much 'work in progress' but the Lee Enhancer adds another dimension and felt it worth sharing. Warning -These filters aren't cheap!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Baxter,

Good comparisons. I guess you are not really happy with the Velvia 100 - I don't find it as good as the old 50 for most landscape subjects, but I prefer it when the light levels are low. Fuji is replacing the 64T sometime this summer with a new version, so you might have to redo your tests - I've been looking and haven't found anyone selling the new stuff yet.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Baxter,
    why 64t corrected for daylight?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Robert

With hindsight I should have used a sheet of RVP100. I am almost certain from previous experience that the clouds would have been rendered scarlet and thus not at all realistic. This time of day (and sunset) is when the exaggerated colours at the red ond of the spectrum are totally unrealistic, even if they do make striking images. Fuuji are interested in what I am trying and I shall have a go with the new emulsion, but have only just bought a new box of Quickload. Since I only use this on occasion, when the conditions seem appropriate, it might be some while. However I don't expect the same sort of difference we have seen with the Velvias.

John
    I am not fully correcting for daylight with the 85C. The blues are different, the reds are suppressed without the Enhancing filter and you do get more shadow detail from the lower contrast. For the price of one sheet of film I get an entirely different mood from a situation, sometimes I prefer this, others not. The effect is not to the taste of many, but then again not everyone is a fan of Velvia vision! With the withdrawal of RVP50 I am looking for alternatives. RVP100F is deficient on the red response at dawn and the nonF version is in-credible none of us live on a planet like that without what I understand is possible with chemically induced perception.......

As an aside, I was trying to explain to a non-photographer why RVP50 was so good the other day.

Familiar with film Spinal Tap? Very well I shall proceed.

Well Velvia 50 goes up to 11, Just like the Marshall amp - always one better and warm tones from the Velves (sorry!).
    RVP100F goes up to 7 or 8 and for dawn skies about 5. Not Rockin' nor very good - too cool.
    And so then they produce RVP100 which goes up to 13. Too loud man!

Ok I agree, I do think I need to get out more. But having risen to shoot dawn today, saw a featureless sky, strong wind and low temperatures. The computer was a viable alternative.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Bradford
    Ok I agree, I do think I need to get out more. But having risen to shoot dawn today, saw a featureless sky, strong wind and low temperatures. The computer was a viable alternative.
    Yes, I'm hoping to get out for the sunrise tomorrow. We have had about 6 weeks of rain, and while the weather was clear today (Saturday), it is expected to rain again tomorrow through Tuesday. But, hopefully, not before I can photograph the sunrise.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin