Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,547   Online: 989

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I once asked a class a similar question, " The world is coming to an end on Tuesday, at 3 pm. What do you do ?"

All but one said they would go partying, get drunk, etc., etc., etc.

Last one was very serious. Said she'd load up her Arri and shoot it.

She got the 'A'. I suggested the others go to business school.

As for the whole color vs B&W thing, all I can say is that if I only had a roll of fricking Velvia in the fridge, it would just PROVE it was the end of the world.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going to stick up for 400UC. Nice separation in the greens, no violence to skin tones, and keeps tonal separation in whites (roundbale wrappers), even when overexposed a stop. It's also finer grained than the 100 speed stuff i used in the 80s, or Kodachrome 200. (my previous favorite color film)

Robert, Tri-x is a color film, it just takes three shots, 25A, 57B, 67C filters, and some creativity in the darkroom when you're done. It's just not a convenient color film.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Fuji Pro 160S

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    In that dire, worst case scenario, I would f*#k the film and take a box of Dove Bars!
    That is the best one yet...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Time Zero (RIP)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Velvia 50. 9 rolls left out of my stash...and I'm planning to try and find more. I love the stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd take Provia 100F for color...I shoot very little color but I love the look of Provia when I do. Fantastic grain, slightly punchy but still OK for people...it renders the world the way I think it should look.

B&W would be Acros 100. Even though I don't shoot much of it because of the hole that Fuji punches in the corners of their 4x5 sheets...if I only had one roll of B&W film it would be Acros. I love the buttery-smooth look I get with Acros and Rodinal...there's something magical about that combination. (In the real world, I try to stick to films I can shoot in many formats, and I just won't buy Acros 100 in 4x5 because of that goofy hole. So I don't shoot it in other sizes very often, and will stop when I've shot the few remaining rolls I have in the 'fridge.)
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Citizen Kane

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    Citizen Kane
    Ruling Class

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    Citizen Kane
    excellent.

My answer:
    b&w: tri-x.
    color: Kodachrome 25.

Assuming human civilization is at an end, I won't be able to process or get someone else to process this -- I'll just have to shoot the best 72 portraits of my life, and spend the rest of the time I have left sealing the unprocessed film in a nitrogen-filled, zero humidity canister in a sub-zero environment and hope that either when the aliens stumble across this rest stop of a rock, or when the dolphins sprout legs and take up an interest in archeology, that they'll find some mildly illuminating images of bipeds made on the best image-recording technology ever devised during their existence.

Perhaps an archeologist from that far-flung future will gasp when they see the images they've processed and whisper to themselves, "how can it be? Tri-X?"

-KwM-

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin