Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,491   Online: 816

Shooter
    35mm

Economical place to have 35mm color print film developed in Virginia?

I'm not sure what to do.

Wal-Mart's 2 day service does a good job with my film except that they frequently scratch the negatives. Usually, the scratches either don't show up in the print or are very faint. The 1hr service is even worse (well, they were, I haven't used them in ages). The price is great at about $7/roll.

The local shop does a great job as well, doesn't scratch the negative, and has the film done that afternoon or the next morning. However, a roll of 36exp is nearly $20. That's ok for a roll here and there, but I sometimes shoot as many as 5 rolls in a weekend.

In the Northern Virginia region, who does a good job and doesn't charge a fortune?

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know how economical they are but Bob Shell (when he was around) swore by:

PFS PHOTO:

http://www.pfsphoto.com/

290 Peppers Ferry Rd. NEChristiansburg VA 24073 540.381.9425
    Mon-Sat 10am - 7pm

1158 East Main Street Radford VA 24141 540.639.6911
    Mon-Fri 9am - 6pm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had very good luck with my local Costco and have heard the same about others. You have to be a member. I just picked up single 4x6 prints from two rolls, 24 and 36 exposures. Just over $12 with tax. It might cost a bit more than you've been paying, but their employees probably make 3 times the hourly wage, and I suspect are better trained. The local Costco even has a calibrated profile online for digital users to match to their output. They have also made 4x6 proofs with good quality and neutral balance from the B&W film I process and bring in, all without batting an eye or scratching their heads over how one would do that.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    PFS' prices look good, but they're at the other end of the state. By the time I pay shipping, I'd lose any savings.

I'll have to check out Costco. We used to have a membership, maybe this will be a good reason to renew.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    I don't know how economical they are but Bob Shell (when he was around) swore by:

PFS PHOTO:

http://www.pfsphoto.com/

290 Peppers Ferry Rd. NEChristiansburg VA 24073 540.381.9425
    Mon-Sat 10am - 7pm

1158 East Main Street Radford VA 24141 540.639.6911
    Mon-Fri 9am - 6pm
    I used to run my E6 at PFS 20 years ago, before they had two locations. They were very reliable, very nice folks, and did great work. One of the owners (sold out the the partner quite a while back) used to do some writing for Shutterbug. They were a block or two from Bob Shell's studio. I used another, closer lab for color prints, where a friend did very careful custom work for me. So I haven't seen a lot of their print work.

BTW, this is in SW VA, a little west of Roanoke, so doesn't qualify as NOVA (northern Virginia). If you took the Skyline and Blue Ridge Parkways it would be a very nice drive to the lab, and you'd shoot several rolls on the trip down and again on the way back.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    this is in SW VA, a little west of Roanoke
    Yup, know the area well. My wife's family is from Roanoke and that's where my parents currently live. I love the region and would love to move back.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    I love the region and would love to move back.
    Chris
    As would I. I lived in Christiansburg from '86 to '89 and I still miss it. 45 minutes to the Appalachian trail to the north and 45 minutes to the Blue Ridge Parkway to the south, and lots of good stuff in between.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    I use Advanced Photo in Falls Church (even if it means driving 30min to get there) They are not in the low range but nothing you can compare with W-M. (http://www.advancedphoto.net/)

Thanks

Rafael

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin