Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,868   Online: 839

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodachrome Home Development - I've an idea

I know that I'm probaby beating a very dead horse with a very large stick here, but I'm going to ask this anyway ...

Looking thorugh info. on this forum and elsewhere, the processing procedure for Kodachrome does not look difficult; just time consuming and using hard-to-find chemicals.

Obviously regular developers / bleaches could be used, which leaves the issue of the couplers. Couldn't something along the lines of Rockland's Polytoner system be used for these? If so, that would make it not very difficult to do ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they contain true couplers and work by color development, then it would work. I doubt if it would work with true Kodachrome film due to the addenda in the Kodachrome developers used to control image quality. It would probably work with a set of separation positives, each developed in its own color developer.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 2000 FCW has been depressed ever since K64 120 died.

But it was FUN for a while !
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE, not sure what you mean by "addenda in developers ... "

could you explain??

Yes, and a shame about Kodachrome 120 ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    PE, not sure what you mean by "addenda in developers ... "

could you explain??

Yes, and a shame about Kodachrome 120 ...
    The Kodachrome color developers contain a whole host of chemicals for curve shape control and control of cross contamination. Then they contain anti-oxidants and other ingredients to hold the couplers in solution and enhance copuling rate.

See my patent on the subject. I am one of the co-inventors of CD6 used in the Kodacrhome yellow developer.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    In other words, send your film to the lab for processing. Nobody can do it at home properly unless he is Photo Engineer. And I guess even Photo Engineer would have to make a substantial effort.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And 3 miles of garden hose.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi
    In other words, send your film to the lab for processing. Nobody can do it at home properly unless he is Photo Engineer. And I guess even Photo Engineer would have to make a substantial effort.
    Petzi, I wouldn't say exactly that.

It is hard and time consuming. I really wouldn't try even though I have seen it done and worked on it a lot.

I wouldn't even trust myself to important work without a lot of trial and error.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sorry, but it is late here and we had a busy day. I don't have the patent or the formulas at hand. If you really want, I can look them up and post them. I cannot get to it until tomorrow afternoon at the latest. In the mean time, if you really have to have it, you can look it up on the US patent web site.

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    One difficulty, aside the more complex ones, is removing the remjet before development. I have developed old Kodachrome II standard 8mm movie film by B&W reversal (permanganate/sulphuric acid bleach) with some reasonable success, but re-exposure after bleach can be done through the emulsion side. As I understand it, and PE can perhaps confirm, correct, or expand on this, Kodachrome requires re-exposure at different stages through both the emulsion and back of the film - related to the yellow dye layer, etc., within. Remjet is not hard to remove (with some practice) after development, but I should think would be very difficult, without an automated setup, to remove it in the dark before development. I have also tried one cartridge of old super8 Kodachrome II by B&W reversal and got absolutely nothing - only clear emulsion - I am puzzled - perhaps PE - or anyone else could comment.

There is an interesting discussion of the Kodachrome facility in Lausanne, Switzerland, in the first issue of Smallformat Magazine

http://www.atollmedien.de/smallformat/

Since I am in Canada, Super8 Kodachrome 40 (discontinued) came with prepaid mailers which are currently (until the plant closes) sent by Kodak to Switzerland for processing.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin