Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,202   Online: 946

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Advice on 400 ASA color negative film for travel / digital printing

Hi,
    I would like opinions on a 400 ASA color print film that will be digitally printed.

In a month I will be in Rome for a week. Not totally a photo type trip but will bring a camera. Want to use my Xpan 45 & 90. In the past, on photo trips (i.e. ones I can carry a tripod) I have had satisfying results using Fuji Reala (ASAS 100), developing with Tental C-41 chemistry at home with a Jobo, scaning negatives on a Nikon scanner, printing on a Espon 2200.

For this trip I would like to use a small Xpan kit but will have no tripod (hard to use in Rome, can't reliably carry it on a plane (no checked luggage) and would take away from focus of trip - spouse). The Xpan lenses are not speed demons (f/4 at tops) so for using the camera hand held, a faster film would be in order.

I do not wish to go faster than 400 as lately I have just stopped worrying about Xray screening, let them scan and have had no issues with 400 B&W film but did not wish to push my luck with 800 ASA film.

What suggestions do you have for a 400 ASA film that will scan well, has fine grain and has good color saturation for general use? Kodak UC appears to be something that might work. The various "wedding" films (Fuji and Kodak) also sound appealing. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    kodak 400vc, seem sa logical choice. rome has rather high contrast, so think it will work...
    game

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You should make a test instead of asking others.

Your taste isn't mine.

I love Fuji 400 color neg, but that doesn't mean you will.

Test test test. No one can do the heavy lifting for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't shoot much color negative film but Fuji Superia is what I usually get for my wife when she wants to make photos of something. It looks good to me and it is supposed to be engineered for improved scanning results.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The idea is that VC is for low contrast situations and NC for high contrast...

Quote Originally Posted by game
    kodak 400vc, seem sa logical choice. rome has rather high contrast, so think it will work...
    game
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    35mm
    I really like Fuji 400NPH. Very nice colours
    Had used it shooting a gig and on holidays and enjoyed the results very much.
    Sandra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Reala extensively and sometimes wished for a faster film. Whilst in Germany in January I saw some Fuji Super G Plus 800 ASA for 1 Euro a roll.

I couldn't resist at that price so I bought ½ a doz rolls and went shooting. I returned to my base in Germany after a few days away and got the a film processed. I was very surprised at how fine a grain I got when exposing the film at 400 ASA. I immediately purchased anothe 12 rolls for 12 Euros and have been exceedingly pleased with my prints since.

I develop and print my own film.

As you may be wishing for a faster film on some days this could be a viable alternative with F4 lenses.

A couple of wedding photographers use Fuji's 400 Superia and swear by it. They have their film scanned and printed quite successfully.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use NPH or Ultra 400 if I want a 400 speed film, but as Mick says 800 film works well when exposed at 400 and it gives you the option of exposing it at 800 when you need it. Even exposed at 800 the graininess of Portra 800 should be unnoticeable if you are enlarging the short side of the neg to 12" (depending on technique, of course). I put Portra 800 through carry-on film scanners at US and European airports quite frequently and have had no problems.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm
    I used Fuji Superia 400 in Prague recently. It was very dull and overcast but 400 seemed to cover all situations. The daytime prints were only OK but this was probably an accurate reflection of the reality due to the weather. However I was particularly impressed with the vibrancy of the prints obtained from night shots of illuminated buildings. All were hand held and really exposures were beyond the ideal for hand-held shots but using lamposts and benches seemed to give the stability needed.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would test any film first. It may be advisable to use an 800 iso film and plan on exposing it in the 400-600 range. Others may have a different opinion, but I have used very few negative films that didn't benefit from at least a 1/2 stop reduction in box speed. In fact most films, for my needs and taste, work better at a full stop reduction.

As for a film recommendation 400UC rated at 200-320 is a great film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin