Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,961   Posts: 1,558,291   Online: 961
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    digiconvert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cannock UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    809
    Images
    51

    First colour print

    I have just printed my first colour print from a lab processed print. the scanned image from the lab looks like this
    ImgFree.net - Hosting Images whilst my print looks like

    ImgFree.net - Hosting Images
    Obviuosly it's no work of art and I know it is undeveloped in the corners -first try with minimal chem in dish, in case it as a total disiaster.
    I'm actually quite pleased but would welcome advice on the changes to filtration needed. I used 65M 55Y 0C as recommended on the box (Kodak supra endura) but it seems to much cyan is present - should I add cyan , idf so what would be a good start point ?

    Any advice on this gratefully received, as would advice on how to get the paper in the right place under the enlarger- I assume you can't use the red filter and it's a pain in the dark.

    Cheers CJB

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Italia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,680
    I'm not the best at judging anything from the monitor but Start by getting the exposure right. Don't worry about colour balance yet. Once it's right then see. If it's still Cyan then subtract some M and Y.

  3. #3
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,211
    Images
    65
    I would try 60M 45Y (it appears more blue to me than cyan) and close down about 1/2 to 1 stop in f stop.

    PE

  4. #4
    donbga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by digiconvert
    I have just printed my first colour print from a lab processed print. the scanned image from the lab looks like this
    ImgFree.net - Hosting Images whilst my print looks like

    ImgFree.net - Hosting Images
    Obviuosly it's no work of art and I know it is undeveloped in the corners -first try with minimal chem in dish, in case it as a total disiaster.
    I'm actually quite pleased but would welcome advice on the changes to filtration needed. I used 65M 55Y 0C as recommended on the box (Kodak supra endura) but it seems to much cyan is present - should I add cyan , idf so what would be a good start point ?

    Any advice on this gratefully received, as would advice on how to get the paper in the right place under the enlarger- I assume you can't use the red filter and it's a pain in the dark.

    Cheers CJB
    The first rule of thumb for color printing is to make a print with the correct density and then color correct from that.
    Don Bryant

  5. #5
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,211
    Images
    65
    Dongba;

    You are absolutely right, make one change at a time, the first one being to get the best exposure.

    I was speaking in terms of what I would do and that is not good advice for me to give to a beginner. Sorry about that to you all.

    PE

  6. #6
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,605
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by digiconvert
    Any advice on this gratefully received, as would advice on how to get the paper in the right place under the enlarger- I assume you can't use the red filter and it's a pain in the dark.

    Cheers CJB
    Do you have an easel that holds your paper? If not, you should try to get one - a good, heavy easel is very important.

    If you have an easel, and it is not staying stationary when you load the paper, there are a number of tricks that may help. The rubberized shelf lining material used in some kitchens can help - just make sure you get some that rolls out flat.

  7. #7
    digiconvert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cannock UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    809
    Images
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
    Do you have an easel that holds your paper? If not, you should try to get one ....
    Yes I have an easel I guess I just need more practice working without a safelight, I am led to believe that colour film is too sensitive to use on.

    Thanks to everyone for the advice- looking at my testg strip I chose a time that was probably a little too long so I will repeat soon. I am using filters at the moment as I need to do work on the colour head I rescued from the local college, I need to be sure I can do the colour printing before I put the time into that.

  8. #8
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,211
    Images
    65
    To change exposure with color paper, it is always best to change the lens opening (f stop) rather than time. Changing the time can affect color balance more than changing f stop.

    PE

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Daventry, Northamptonshire, England
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    7,051
    CJB. As far as safelights are concerned have a look at some threads on safelights and colour. I use a DUKA 10 which gives good light and is safe. There are other safelights as well. Sodium light is particularly good.

    I know that some colour printers get used to doing it entirely in the dark but I have to admit that if "in the dark" was the only way, I'd probably give it up.

    pentaxuser

  10. #10
    digiconvert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cannock UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    809
    Images
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    To change exposure with color paper, it is always best to change the lens opening (f stop) rather than time. Changing the time can affect color balance more than changing f stop.

    PE
    Thanks for the advice-this is really a great place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin