Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,440   Online: 828

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Using and exposing Kodak EIR

Just wondering if anyone out there has used Kodak Ektachrome EIR infrared slide film. What ISO should I set my meter to? Do I need to use any kind of infrared filters? Do I need to give the lab special instructions when processing it? Help!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, I've shot with it quite a bit. You can shoot it at ISO 200 with a Wratten 12 yellow filter (also known as a minus blue filter) which is recommended in the literature included in the film package. Shooting without a filter makes your images look washed out. Here's a link to where I have a few of my EIR shots posted. The top 4 on the page are all EIR, plus one other one which is labeled as EIR. http://dianemaher.fotopic.net/c54732_1.html

This page has a link to a picture shot without a filter. EIR no filter http://dianemaher.fotopic.net/c375457.html

No specific IR filters are required for this film. You should consult with a pro lab in your area before giving this film to them to process. You can't just drop it off at your local cheap lab. They can't use IR viewing devices when dealing with this film. I've read that some of the machines used to develop film have IR notch counters which is not good for this film either.

A book that you might want to read before exposing any of this film is "The Art of Color Infrared Photography" by Steven H. Begleiter, published by Amherst Media. ISBN: 1-58428-065-4. It will help you understand what to expect from the film and give you some insight on how to get the results that you want.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    As I recall I shoot with my Nikon n90s at 320 with a yellow 12, or 14.

I also have a few images on my web site. and some lurking at http://www.roberthall.com/missions.html

The film has a horrible blue cast that, IMO needs a yellow to cut it down. One can also use other colors to get some funky results.

It's fun, but expensive.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Has anyone ever xproccessed this film?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No. I send mine to Main Photo Service in Santa Ana, CA. I always tell them what ISO the film was shot at and anything else they might need to know. I think it's important to tell the lab what the ISO was when it was shot.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk
    Has anyone ever xproccessed this film?
    Yes, it has been cross processed. There are examples of this in several books, but I have never done it.

It gives some very unusual results especially when printed as a negative or positive.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I had good results with a roll expired 1997 but stored in freezer.
    I used Nikon FM-2, Setting ISO 200, tried filters as Y440, OR560, Yellow-Green X0, Color KR15 which gave the best results.
    The lab must know to open the film can in complete darkness and without use of infrared emitters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mabuse View Post
    I had good results with a roll expired 1997 but stored in freezer.
    I used Nikon FM-2, Setting ISO 200, tried filters as Y440, OR560, Yellow-Green X0, Color KR15 which gave the best results.
    The lab must know to open the film can in complete darkness and without use of infrared emitters.
    Holy necro-posting Batman!

Do you realize you just replied to, and bumped back to the top of the new posts list, a thread the last post of which had been more than six years ago?

This film hasn't been available in some time. One person (in Germany I believe?) was selling the last of the re-spooled aerial version some months ago. There might be some in a freezer somewhere but otherwise, it's long gone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Roger, at least You are looking up to this thread.
    EIR 35mm films are regularly traded on ebay and the prices have raised up to more than 40US$.

There is a guy in U.K who sells old re-spooled Aerochrome but some people had bad results with his films.
    Of course I will not wake up the wolves.

Gut Licht !
    Dr.Mabuse

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No way I'm paying $400 for a roll of anything. (Though I did just pay $115 each for two boxes of 4x5 IR820. Still, that works out to $2.30 per shot. $400 for 36 exposures is more than $10. No thanks.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin