Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,894   Online: 1085

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ilfochrome chemistry

A friend of mine wants to resume Ilfochrome printing after a hiatus, but he can't find the usual chemistry kit. Is the P-3.5 kit for about $150 the only hobby kit available or is the old one that costs $40-50 still available (and where)? Thanks.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The P-30 kit is available for about $137+shipping at B&H Photo in NYC. I think the P3.5 kit has been replaced with the P-30 kit.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    The P-30 kit is available for about $137+shipping at B&H Photo in NYC. I think the P3.5 kit has been replaced with the P-30 kit.

Regards, Art.

You've got it backwards.

The P30 used to be like $30-$40.

It was replaced with the P3.5.

Yes the P3.5 is the kit for use at home. I used to use the P3 process at home, which was ultimately more expensive, but came in 20 liter kits.

Don't give up on Ilfochrome! It is expensive, but there is nothing like it!!!!

Corey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you will find B&H won't ship it. I got mine from Rainier photo - good service so far - much smaller operation. You can find them easily on the web but you have to call in to place an order. Also Calumet has put it back in their inventory.

The P3.5 kit is the new 5 liter small batch kit but is not the same user-friendly chemistry as the old P30. P30 is no longer made. The P3.5 is exactly the same chemistry as P3 - good stuff - but temperature control is a must with this stuff. Don't give up on it - I still think nothing can beat a good Ilfochrome!

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boyooso
    You've got it backwards.
    Here's the excerpt taken directly from the B&H Website:
    The Ilford Ilfochrome P-30P process was designed for home darkroom usage with rotary tubes or small table-top roller transport processors that work on a batch system. P-30 is a positive to positive print process when making prints from transparencies.

The P-30P process chemicals are also self-neutralizing for easy disposal.
    I checked my unopened box and sure enough this (P-30) is what I bought last year.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found it listed at K&M Camera in NY for $41.95, but when I called, they didn't have it.

http://www.kmcamera.com/index.asp?Pa...D&ProdID=15080

If your friend finds the kit in stock somewhere, please let me know. I'd like to try it as well.

frank

PS: Give your friend this link

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...asp?FORUM_ID=9

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, just to clear up any confusion - Ilford Imaging Switzerland which makes Ilfochrome is now a separate and distinct company from Ilford/Harmon Technologies UK. The Swiss unit was purchased out of receivership by Oji Paper Company of Japan in August, 2005. At that time, the Ilfochrome plant was re-configured and some changes made to the chemistry. During the re-tooling, supply was a serious problem - so some dealers stopped handling Ilfochrome and some labs that were still printing it on light-jet reconfigured their equipment for RA-4. Oji paper stated that they would keep Ilfochrome (what's left of it) alive as long as they could keep it financially viable. To accomplish this, they dropped Ilfochrome Rapid, P4 chemistry, P22 etc. as well as Ilfochrome Pearl. The remaining photographic products are Ilfochrome Classic polyester base and P3 chemistry in two forms: P3.5 5 liter kits which is unreplenished P3 chemistry for small batch use and P3X which is the same P3 chemistry plus starters, etc with mixing instructions for replenished processes.
    It is packaged for 25 liters. If you use a lot and you can get a dealer to order it and ship it to you, the cost per print is about half of the P3.5 kit if you use it as mix and dump without replenishment, less if you have the equipment to process a replenishment line. Also, the re-start had some problems, like incorrect mixing instructions - check the website for updated instructions - and disregard optional temps (a leftover from P30) and run it at 30 C.

Here is the blurb from Ilford Swiss website:

"P3X/P3XL ILFOCHROME CLASSIC PROCESS P3X is designed for the professional lab to be used in ILFORD specified roller transport processors. This process is designed to minimize waste and to improve productivity.

P3 ILFOCHROME CLASSIC PROCESS P3. This 3-bath process is designed both for the professional lab, amateurs and enthusiasts. Various options are available.
    KIT3.5 replaces P30P and is designed to be used in small tabletop processors such as CAP40, ICP/IWD 42 or with drum processing.
    "

B&H's website is somewhat misleading - they describe P30 and show a picture of P3.5. There may still be some P30 and P30P stuff from last year around - if so, it's still good. I just got about $500 worth of pre-OJI P3 product for nothing from a friend who won't have time to use it

Anyway, it appears that there are at least two suppliers that have the new 5 liter kits available and will ship it (ground only):

Rainier photo: http://www.rainierphoto.com/

and Calumet photo http://www.calumetphoto.com/

Give it a try - Good luck

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice post Bob!
    I would add that you might find some P30 2-liter kits on Ebay, but be prepared to pay out of the nose for them. I went as high as $135 for one kit!
    I using up my leftover RC paper.
    Long live Ciba!!!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin