Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,725   Online: 892

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Can ferricyanide / Dichromate bleach be used in C-41?

I've recently become interested in home-processing color film, as I've rediscovered that color can actually be nice and useful [sometimes]. However, commercial processing can get expensive. So anyway ...

The developer seems to be fairly inexprensive; concentrate to make 1 gallon of Flexicolor developer is about $10.00. They don't ship, but I'll probably go down to the city soon, so that's not an issue.

However, that still leaves the bleach & fix unaccounted for. So my question is this: I have ferricyanide and dichromate bleaches for reversal processes. Can I use either one of these in a color process?

I know that black and white fixer is a bit different, but it'll work... also, is a stabiliser still needed, and, if so, where can it be purchased?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you do, the process becomes much more complicagted.

Also, the results cannot be certified as the standard test at EK no longer includes a ferricyanide bleach test, IIRC.

The process would be similar to this:

Color develop
    Stop with clear
    Wash
    Bleach
    Wash
    Fix
    Wash
    Stabilize

The stabilizer, contrary to some opinion is still needed. It contains proprietary ingredients to stabilze the color film.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd be carefull using B&W fixer for colour film. I know some might work okay but colour fixer is usually much cheaper then B&W and will do both B&W and colour just fine. So why go to the hassle of figuring out which B&W fixer will work with colour film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    colour fixer is usually much cheaper then B&W and will do both B&W and colour just fine. So why go to the hassle of figuring out which B&W fixer will work with colour film?
    Oh, wow, I didn't realize that; now that I look on B&H, you're definetely right. -- And the color stuff will do B&W film as well?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I missed the comment about fixer as well in the OP. You CANNOT use any B&W fixer for color film due to the pH being either too low or too high. The pH for color fixers must be between about 6.3 and 6.8 max range.

Color fixer can be used for B&W film.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE and/or Nick, can a batch of C-41 fixer that has previously been used for C-41 film be safely used with B&W film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    PE and/or Nick, can a batch of C-41 fixer that has previously been used for C-41 film be safely used with B&W film?
    Yes it can, but the individual fix time for your film should be determined beforehand by the old 2x the time it takes to clear.

PE

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As an additional note.. Ferricyanide can't be mixed with Fix for a blix as it falls apart. All modern bleaches are based around Ferric ammonium EDTA and mix well and remain stable so not only can one reduce things to a single fix but one can reduce things to a single bleach (which can be used in E-6 as well) and mix as one needs bleach or blix.
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edz
    As an additional note.. Ferricyanide can't be mixed with Fix for a blix as it falls apart. All modern bleaches are based around Ferric ammonium EDTA and mix well and remain stable so not only can one reduce things to a single fix but one can reduce things to a single bleach (which can be used in E-6 as well) and mix as one needs bleach or blix.
    Ed, by the time you make the film blix strong enough to bleach and fix all of the silver in color film, particularly when the silver is loaded with iodide and DIR fragments which are bleach and fix inhibitors, the blix becomes unstable, and that is why I suggest not using a blix for film.

They are unreliable and unstable if they are strong enough to do the job required of them.

There are ways around this and my co-workers and I hold a patent on it, but it does not come easy, to make a film blix that removes all of the silver to the exacting standards required for good color.

BTW, a good Ferricyanide / hypo blix is possible, but it is a throw away, single use solution. You mix, use and discard. They can be designed. There are many others using off-the-shelf chemistry and some with rather exotic chemistry that will blix.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good to know about the color fixer being useable for B&W, much easier.

So it's been established that ferricyanide bleaches are OK, but my dichromate question is still unanswered; how about those?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin