Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,964   Online: 1068

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    Hi Robert,

I still have to try my new sheets and rolls of 100 Velvia and may be trying to get some of the last Veliva 50 that is still available.

Have you tested to see if the film needs a warming filter if one wants the color more in keeping with Velvia 50?

Rich
    Hi Rich,

I haven't made a real comparison between the two as yet. I shot mainly 100 when I was in New Zealand last October, but I have been back to the 50 since then. I know Baxter has shot a bit of it, and for the subtle colors found in the UK, he doesn't seem real fond of it. He has done much more extensive testing than I have. My initial take is that the film is a bit cooler than the old 50, and while it is sharper, it doesn't seem to catch the more subtle warm colors like the old 50.

Sadly, because of the weather, I haven't taken more than a couple of images since January. I went out late yesterday to shoot some 6x12 Velvia 100, but the rain clouds came out and it got grey - actually, typical for this time of year, but after 43 days of solid rain, frustrating.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Baxter,

How responsive do you think that Fuji will be to a tweak for a fix of the Velvia 100 color rendering? I still have to try it in the different format sizes. Fuji sent me some 120 roll film to test. But I will have to get back to Fuji Photo Film USA with my comments.

Maybe we can get a color adjustment. Or maybe if there is enough noise about it, we can persuade Fuji to only retire Velvia 50 for a short time and bring it back into production.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was always under the impression that the old 50 was discountined was because some of the raw materials were no longer available. But, I'm sure they could tweak the 100 to get the same response.

What might be interesting would be to try some of the Fuji Fortia; I think it is only available in 35mm and 120 (it is a Japan only film).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all for your input. I see I neglected to mention my intended use - landscape. The fact that experienced users do see a difference means that it is well worth the time to run some direct comparisons for myself.

regards,
    Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    What might be interesting would be to try some of the Fuji Fortia; I think it is only available in 35mm and 120 (it is a Japan only film).
    Fortia was and is a wild film, I bought a few rolls off of ebay when it came out and was it ever saturated, it was like looking at a surrealistic version of an image, it was fun to play with, but for everyday stuff, it was way out there, it was neat to shoot neon with it..

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin