Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,331   Online: 854

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Question on Velvia

What is the difference between Velvia 100F and the newer Velvia 100? I checked the Fuji site and it leads one to believe that both will remain in production, implying a difference, but I could not determine from the information given what that might be. Still have about 20 rolls (120) of the 100F in the reefer - wondering if its worth getting some 100 and running some comparisons to see if I can tell?

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the grain structure and color balance more in the 100 than the 100F, it just has a better look in my eyes, saturation is different, you should do the comparisions and see which works for you...

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Still have about 20 rolls (120) of the 100F in the reefer
    Sounds like a party! Got the munchies?

I hear 100 is similar to the Velvia 50, only faster and somewhat more accurate in color rendition (but still very saturated). True? I just got a couple rolls of Velvia 100 to try out so I may have more info soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't find the saturation quite as strong in the 100 as I did with the 50, but it is better than the 100F in my opinion, I am not fond of the 100F at all, but I know people who like it better, it comes down to personal tastes, I really wish they had not discontinued the 50, that was a staple film for me for many years..

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I found the 100 to have cleaner whites than the 100F, and when enlarged to 20x24 from 6x7 cm, a tad sharper.
    However, I'm stocking up on all the 50 I can find, as I've never found anything that compares to it's sharpness for big enlargements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just tried 100F/120 last week for the first time. It looks a bit warmer than straight 100 when I compared them side by side. Looks liked I used a warming filter (81 A/B/C filter) with the 100F which I did not.

Here's a shot using 100F/120
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've used both the 100 and 100F. They are two different films, ignore the name. The 100F is a bit warmer, but also a bit flat, colorwise. It would be worth getting the 100 speed film, to see if you like its color palette. Now tht the 50 is gone, I'm using the 100 for all my work. Don't let the 100F color your judgement of what Velvia can do.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I've used both the 100 and 100F. They are two different films, ignore the name. The 100F is a bit warmer, but also a bit flat, colorwise. It would be worth getting the 100 speed film, to see if you like its color palette. Now tht the 50 is gone, I'm using the 100 for all my work. Don't let the 100F color your judgement of what Velvia can do.
    Hi Robert,

I still have to try my new sheets and rolls of 100 Velvia and may be trying to get some of the last Veliva 50 that is still available.

Have you tested to see if the film needs a warming filter if one wants the color more in keeping with Velvia 50?

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a different take on this one.

Firstly - They have very different responses at dawn and dusk. The Newer 100 makes the skies go an unrealistic red, whereas the 100F doesn't render pinks/reds very strongly at all. I think that the 100F is coolest in terms of palette and slightly lower contrast so often use at ISO200 which boosts contrast and seems to warm it all up a bit.

Additionally there is a concensus in the UK amongst a number of LF landscape photographers is that the 100 (non F) has an unpredictability which is undesirable particularly in the 'golden hours' and so we are intending to standardise on the 100F after freezer stocks of RVP50 are exhausted. Also the Pro160S colour neg film is very good indeed with a far higher latitude/range.

Feedback has been given to Fuji UK on this matter. I just hope that they will tweak the film to rectify this unpredictability.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the Fuji Professional Film Dataguide (on their website), the detail they emphasize with the 100F is "the ability to reproduce purples, greens and other subtle colors with a fidelity not found in previous films."
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin