Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,389   Online: 682

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C41 PUSH?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Derek,

if developing normal, all C41 speeds run the same amount of time, if your pulling or pushing, then you are increasing or decreasing development time, I would understand an extra charge to push, but don't understand why they would charge more for a pull as the film is in the developer less time, By the way, what lab in Colorado offers push and pull services for C41

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave,
    I could have sworn it was on their web site but now I don't see it. Maybe I was smoken' something when I saw it. They offer push/pull for E6 and push for BW, although it doesn't look like they charge for it now. Does E6 dev like BW with different dev times? I've seen Kodak say there E200 can be pushed to 3200, can that be right?

D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ohh, regardles of NATIVE RATED speed, C-41 films are the same. This is to say that any C-41 film, processed at its marked speed, is developed the same.

Pushing and pulling is done with extended or shhortened development,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Derek,

Yes, push and pull refers to the amount of time the film is in the development stage, so if your pushing, you are leaving in development longer and if you are pulling your decreasing the amount of time in the development stage of processing.

Yes I have seen 200 pushed to 3200, not a pleasing result in my opinion, but it really depends on what your trying to accomplish by pushing it so far, it would result in a long time in the development stage to get a usuable image on a push of 4 stops like that, but indeed it is possible..

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must be having a senior moment day. I just checked the kodak site and it says it handles push for 2 stops. I could have sworn it was 4 stops. Oh well.

D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of a push would C41 development for about 7 minutes be equal to? I once did this with a scene that had less than 1 1/2 zones total contrast range and got fairly decent results.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Pushing and pulling which prolabs offer is done by varying the time in developer. Most prolabs will use a dip & dunk machine which will enable the operator to vary time in developer. If you have to push or pull the film will have to be done seperately hence the extra charge. Your average 1 hour photo store however will be using a roller transport processor. In these processors the only way to alter development is to alter the temperature setting in the developer, or to turn off the drive while the film is in the developer to extend the time. Neither of these is ideal, which is why these stores don't usually offer push / pull services.
    Film's not dead, it's just got a negative image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel B
    Pushing and pulling which prolabs offer is done by varying the time in developer. Most prolabs will use a dip & dunk machine which will enable the operator to vary time in developer. If you have to push or pull the film will have to be done seperately hence the extra charge. Your average 1 hour photo store however will be using a roller transport processor. In these processors the only way to alter development is to alter the temperature setting in the developer, or to turn off the drive while the film is in the developer to extend the time. Neither of these is ideal, which is why these stores don't usually offer push / pull services.
    Actually both of our Noritusu machines in the store I worked at had a setting handle that we could turn that would alter the amount of processing time, the second store I worked in had agfa machines that we could program for the various push and pull processing needs.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That's interesting, what do you mean by setting handle? Never seen a noritsu with such a thing myself, maybe before my time. On my noritsu I don't see how that would work, there is a drive motor that turns all the racks, if you slowed it down you would have extra time in all the tanks, which I suppose wouldn't matter but you would also have lower the dryer temp to compensate. Mine also doesn't have any ability to alter push / pull times.
    Film's not dead, it's just got a negative image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel B
    That's interesting, what do you mean by setting handle? Never seen a noritsu with such a thing myself, maybe before my time. On my noritsu I don't see how that would work, there is a drive motor that turns all the racks, if you slowed it down you would have extra time in all the tanks, which I suppose wouldn't matter but you would also have lower the dryer temp to compensate. Mine also doesn't have any ability to alter push / pull times.
    Sam,

If I remember right, out machine was a Noritusu 1290? Could be a 1400 series, it has been a few years since I worked there! on the right hand side of the machine there was a dial that would allow us to vary processing times, to allow up to a 2 stop push or pull, we also had a keypad on the right hand side that was used to check process temps and such, but both our C41 and our E6 machine had this feature to allow us to vary processing times.

Dave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin