Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,982   Online: 982

Shooter
    35mm Pan

Cleaning colour trannys

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with cleaning colour transparencys??

I got some slides in plastic sleeves ready for scanning, and i put sticky dots on the plastic over the frames i want to get scanned. Admittedly they have been there for a while. Problem is, ive just noticed some of the adhesive or woteva has managed to get through the plastic sleeve and onto the film surface (NO IDEA HOW!!!)

Now, when i hold the tranny up to the light, or on lighttable i cant really see the round residue mark, its only when i hold the film flat and look at it from an angle i can see the faint round marks left by those stupid dots!!!!

Im wondering if the scanner (imacon) will pick it up or not?.. and if so how i would go about removing it!!!
    It doesnt look like it would take much to get it off, but i am unsure as to what to use

THanks

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would think that Methylated spirit (or absolute alcohol) would dissolve away the glue without damaging the trannies.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Hrmm possibly but sounds a lil dodgy...
    maybe acetone? haha

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've used a product called PEC-12 on one of my 8x10 slides for a stain that I don't recall how it got there (on the emulsion side), but the PEC-12 took it off with a little patience on my part. It's an archival photographic emulsion cleaner (this is what it says on the bottle).
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Pec 12 is what I used as well. Don't spray direstly onto the film. Spray on a soft cloth. A little goes a long way. It can leave residue otherwise. Also use Pec 12 in a well vented area and don't bent down to closely. You can get a reakky nice "High" from the fumes. When I was in a lab I used Pec 12 then ran the film through the last three tanks of water and washing aid. Then dry them. I would get a really clean trans then.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert8x10
    Pec 12 is what I used as well. Don't spray direstly onto the film. Spray on a soft cloth. A little goes a long way. It can leave residue otherwise. Also use Pec 12 in a well vented area and don't bent down to closely. You can get a reakky nice "High" from the fumes. When I was in a lab I used Pec 12 then ran the film through the last three tanks of water and washing aid. Then dry them. I would get a really clean trans then.
    That is what I use as well. I believe you can get it from Light Impressions, although I buy it locally.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The name escapes me, but we used to sell a product when I worked in the photo shop that was made by Omega-Satter, that was designed to clean emulsions on film, worked very good, could really make ya high if you were doing it in an enclosed area!!

But it worked very good with no ill effects on the slides.

Dave

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin