Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,056   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Attention Wedding Photographers!!! HELP!!!

We are two lady student photographers looking to start up a wedding photography business to start gaining experience. We are starting all of our research and would greatly appreciate anything you all have to share. Currently we are looking around for where the best and least expensive place to get our film processed could be. We are living in Dover, Delaware and would be photographing all around this area.
    We are very appreciative of this site and it's members and are looking for any guidance you all could offer on anything having to do with our new venture. Thank you in advance.

Needing Professional Guidance from Dover.

Thanks Sara and Tina

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know your area but I would start with checking out www.wppinow.com and look in the membership part for the newsletters. They discuss lots of wedding issues and labs around the country. lots of wedding shooters are digital but there are still quite a few that shoot film. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

D.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You could try Praus Productions in Rochester, NY http://www.4photolab.com/ (they are an APUG sponsor), or Calypso Imaging in Santa Clara, CA http://www.calypsoinc.com/ (which is what I use). I've used both services, and both are very good.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Also check out E&J Photo in Dublin, CA. These guys are really good. Maybe not the cheapest but one of the best custom labs I have dealt with. Honest ad fair.

If you call ask for Kurt and tell him Kevin told you to call and tell him you are doing weddings. He is extremely helpful and a very knowledgeable person.

E & J Photo Lab 7748 Dublin Blvd Dublin, CA 94568 925/829-0222

They process most of the pros film work in the area especially the wedding photographers still using film.

http://www.ejphotovideo.com/

Kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All good advice above, but I think it might be a good idea to look for a local processor in a small custom lab close to home. Try to find a lab where you can get a good relationship started with one counter person, and where they are already working with pros in the area. You might end up in Philadelphia eventually, but turn around times are important and long distance relationships are time consuming and more expensive.

Hopefully there is an apugger who knows the area and can shed some light on the subject (sorry, couldn't resist). Best of luck, tim

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a lab in Drexel Hill, PA http://www.meccaimaging.com/ that may be able to help. Fairly local and most of the labs in the area that I know of have closed.

Best of luck in your endeavors.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ladies,

Consider CBOP Professional http://www.cbopprofessional.com/ located in the center of Philadelphia. Ravid (ruh VEED) Butz is the owner 215-977-9970, tell him I sent you. They have extensive knowledge in analogue and digital, and their client roster includes quite a few wedding photographers. Some of the employees are ex wedding as well and would gladly dispense advice and leads. They are a good group of people. No job is too small for them.

As a complete aside, our wedding was shot completely in black and white. Somehow my wife convinced Ross Whittaker to make an exception and shoot our wedding. He said yes, but no color. We loved the idea. My father in law went berserk, so we killed him. The results are outstanding. We own the negatives, but Sotheby's asked to display some of the prints during an exhibition for a jewelry auction. Trust me, it was not because of my looks. Great story, but my point is to consider offering black and white only, or a combination. Few wedding photographer offer the service because, well, I have no idea why. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    Few wedding photographer offer the service because, well, I have no idea why. Good luck.
    Actually most of us that have been in the business for more than a couple of years do offer B&W only weddings or a combination, its just not many clients take advantage of this service anylonger, I have shot weddings for close to 20 years now and the number of clients that even mention B&W is not a lot...Heck now a days it seems like a fight with some of these "Enlightened" customers just to shoot film!

LOL

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Actually most of us that have been in the business for more than a couple of years do offer B&W only weddings or a combination, its just not many clients take advantage of this service anylonger, I have shot weddings for close to 20 years now and the number of clients that even mention B&W is not a lot...Heck now a days it seems like a fight with some of these "Enlightened" customers just to shoot film!
    Dave,
    You should include in your wedding portfolio a color image of a bride with a few slight blemishes alonside a black and white of the same bride. If the bride doesn't see the flattering skin rendition, then you have a rare species with little vanity.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    YoungGalli! As opposed to....what...dear?? :rolleyes:
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin