Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,298   Posts: 1,535,738   Online: 827

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehead
    I am pretty sure at this point that Sensia, Astia, and Provia are all different films.

I am very confident that Astia and Sensia are not the same film.
    You would be correct in your assumptions, they all have different grain structure in addition to diffferent color saturations and contrast ranges.

R.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    I like Provia in 100; Never tried the 400 but would like too, and haven't shot Sensia in forever. It use to be years back that Sensia was actually Provia stock but just off the line I believe. I think nowdays it's suppose to be Astia? Anyways, what's your thoughts between the two?
    Started with Sensia once, then switche to Provia 100 and 400, then went back to Sensia.

What Provia offers like all "professional" films is a more precise colour reproduction and less tolerance , which pros need for the printing.

Which does not mean tho the slide looks better.
    So I did what pros had told me before but what I had refused to do with all the pompousness of an "serious amateur ": I saved my money and took Sensia again.
    Meanwhile I do not hesitate even to use such amateur crap like Kodak Elitechrome "Extra Color", and I love the results.
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rfshootist
    Started with Sensia once, then switche to Provia 100 and 400, then went back to Sensia.

What Provia offers like all "professional" films is a more precise colour reproduction and less tolerance , which pros need for the printing.

Which does not mean tho the slide looks better.
    So I did what pros had told me before but what I had refused to do with all the pompousness of an "serious amateur ": I saved my money and took Sensia again.
    Meanwhile I do not hesitate even to use such amateur crap like Kodak Elitechrome "Extra Color", and I love the results.
    IMHO none of the above-noted films are "crap". All of them benefit from a huge amount of research, development, and high grade production.

"Professional" film is generally only sold by dealers who know how to store it, frequently bought by customers who understand that it has been optimized assuming that the dealers who sell it have stored it properly, and frequently developed by labs who expect it to be within published (narrow) tolerances, and set up their developing protocols accordingly.

"Amateur" film is intended to be more flexible - it is designed to be able to withstand sloppier storage, handling, and development. If it is stored, handled and developed more carefully, within closer tolerances, it is expected to present very high quality results.

"Amateur" film may also be set up to give more pleasing flesh tones and more forgiving exposures, but those are set ups that can also be found (to a degree) in professional films optimized for portraiture or weddings.

In short, buy from retailers who know how to store film, utilize developers who know what they are doing, and try out a few films to find what you like, in circumstances you intend to shoot.

I have a great loyalty to Kodak materials, to the extent that I'll admit I am biased, so I'll suggest that you should try as many of those that you can, because IMHO it is difficult to do better.

Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin