Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,720   Online: 827

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Sensia or Provia?

I like Provia in 100; Never tried the 400 but would like too, and haven't shot Sensia in forever. It use to be years back that Sensia was actually Provia stock but just off the line I believe. I think nowdays it's suppose to be Astia? Anyways, what's your thoughts between the two?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Sensia or Provia

Maybe Ted Harris will chime in here. He knows this stuff well.....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Wayne,

I am not familiar enough at this point with the newest Fujichrome film to say and have never shot Sensia. Provia 100 was always a little warmer and more vibrant than Astia 100 and Velvia 50 was always the most vibrant color and most contrasty of the 3. When I was shooting the birds (those posted here, and many on my website are from 1998) that are on this site and many others that are on mine (more to be uploaded) most of the work was shot on the older Provia 100. My friends at Fuji at the time told me to try the Astia 100 for those times that I needed sharpness, good but more neutral color without blocking up. Check this Astia 100 image from my website (the whites actually hold a bit better on the prints and transparency with detail in the white), it was supposed to be used at Photo Plus West years ago, but Fuji backed out at the last minute:

http://www.nelridge.com/picturepages/yellowslippers.htm

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't believe they are the same film, but they do use the same 4 layer technology. Provia is sharper with an RMS of 8, while Sensia has an RMS of 10. Provia also resolves upwards of 140 lines/mm vs 135 for Sensia. I can't say for sure, but I suspect the Provia is much more accurate in terms of color reproduction.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't say I like sensia, far flatter in the color department, and the grain structure is different and noticable, I have shoot both the 100 and the 400 and there is a noticable difference between sensia and provia...

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Very nice Rich. I use to shoot old Astia at a 1 stop push quite often and occasionaly at a +2. The shot below is a 1 stop push with a Nikon 50mm F1.8 handheld off a 4.4 mb scan downsized to 62KB after being cropped 50% It's just to show the colors which were right on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grasshopper.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Things may have changed of late but as at a year ago Sensia 100 == Astia 100 and Sensia 400 == Provia 400F. Fuji have 'updated' Astia to the 100F version and Provia 400F will soon be replaced with Provia 400X. Whether or not they change the Sensia emulsions (if they haven't already) I'm not sure.

Roger.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am pretty sure at this point that Sensia, Astia, and Provia are all different films.

I am very confident that Astia and Sensia are not the same film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehead
    I am pretty sure at this point that Sensia, Astia, and Provia are all different films.

I am very confident that Astia and Sensia are not the same film.
    So if I shoot the same subject on 2 or all 3 of these films, what differences should I see?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Color saturation and color depth in addition to different contrast ranges come to mind.

R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin