Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,388   Online: 818

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Stabiliser - is it necessary ?

I've been using a Nova Pro-Speed C41 kit press kit, no stabiliser.

I can't find a clear statement on whether a stabilizer is required on modern films. I haven't stabilised the negs I've processed so far, but I gather this can still be done some time after development.

So is it really necessary, and if so where in the UK can I get stabiliser? I would be prepared to mix my own, but equally where do you buy raw chemicals like formaldehyde in small quantities, I really have no idea where to start!

Any ideas?

cheers,

al

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by alspix
    I've been using a Nova Pro-Speed C41 kit press kit, no stabiliser.

I can't find a clear statement on whether a stabilizer is required on modern films. I haven't stabilised the negs I've processed so far, but I gather this can still be done some time after development.

So is it really necessary, and if so where in the UK can I get stabiliser? I would be prepared to mix my own, but equally where do you buy raw chemicals like formaldehyde in small quantities, I really have no idea where to start!

Any ideas?

cheers,

al
    Yes' it's paramount to preserve colour integrity.
    You can mix our own by making a 2% formalin solution.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    OK, thanks. So anyone know where in the UK to buy this sort of stuff?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Older films need a stabilzer made of formalin and photo flo, but modern films need a 'final rinse' with proprietary chemistry that still stabilizes the film but also containes photo flo.

These are both available from Kodak and Fuji. Several other companies sell the earlier formalin based stabilzer.

Information on this is available on the Kodak and Fuji web sites.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The simple answer is yes. It doesn't matter whether it is the traditional stabilizer or the proprietary final rinse (use whichever the manufacturer recommends), you need a post-wash treatment for archival permanence. Without it, the negatives or transparencies will start to deteriorate in a few months or a couple of years, depending on storage conditions and the particular film.

I have been processing C41 films and now find I should have used stabiliser.
    Is this stuff the same as stabilisor for RA4 prints - that's the chemical that is supposed to brighten prints by 10% ?
    Thanks

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The RA4 print stabilzer is not the same as the film stabilzer.

PE

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I think I saw somewhere that the RA4 stuff is not for use on film.

So what we need is formalin. I understand this is the same stuff used as a biocide to treat ponds, so can I just walk into the local pond supplier and buy any brand of formalin product? are they all the same, i.e. a 36% formaldehyde solution?

Would this be OK for instance?

http://petsparade.com/koi%2Dpond/dis...atments/?p=262

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can buy it (here) in the pharmacy, normally 37%.

To get a C41 stabilizer 1% is sufficient together with the regular used wetting agent.

To make 1 Ltr. stabilizer use 27ml 37% formaline and 2-5 ml wetting agent (depending on brand and concentration for using in 1 Ltr.).

Formaldehyde is very toxid, cancer suspiscious a.s.o.
    Wear plastic gloves, eye protection and max. ventilation when doing this. If you have no experiences with handling of (toxid) chemicals I can only recommend not to use it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin