Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,444   Online: 999

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New to JOBO ATL 1000

Hello,

I just bought a Jobo ATL 1000. Way back in the late 80's I used a ATL1 lab so I know a little about them but have a few questions maybe somebody can help with. (long time ago)

1. On the old ATL1 I had a special loader to help guide the 120 film onto the reel. I noticed with the new 2502 reels I don't seem to see any loaders for sale anywhere. How do you load these reels? Can you use these reels to load 70mm film? ( If not what reel is used for 70mm?)

2. I want to process E6 film, what is the most economical way to go with chemistry. Any suggestions on who to buy this stuff from in the US? I live in Iowa so will have to have the stuff shipped from some where?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie
    Keep Film Alive, Shoot Everyday!
    JamiesInfraredPhotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No loader. Not very hard really. 70mm needs the now mythical 70mm reel. Usually found with unicorn horns. Every so often the show up on Ebay for loads of money. Considering they only hold 5 feet of film I don't understand. But people will pay what people will pay.

Isn't the Kodak 5litre single shot designed for rotary use? I don't remember.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply, do you use an atl 1000? This mythical 70mm reel, does it have a part #?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice thing about Jobo is the same tanks work on almost anything. So no 1000.

The model number is 2517.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Jamie,

I have been using the ATL 1000 for a little over a year. I develop E-6 (Tetenal) and B/W Acros Quickloads with it. My stuff comes out nice. I use tempered well water (I live in the country) for the 6 bath E-6 process. I measure my chemicals out of the mfg. bottles and mix either 300 ml or 600 ml amounts. I stow the chemicals back in the box. Tetenal E-6 will last about 6 months unmixed in the original opened bottles, tightly capped and stored. I buy my Tetenal chemicals from: B & H and have not had a hassle yet. The reels are not difficult to load as far as 135/120/220 goes. You should have a sheet from Jobo that shows how. If you do not, PM me and I'll email you a copy. I was able to purchase a reproduced copy of the ATL 1000 manual for $20 from Craig Camera which I recommend having on hand as it explains a lot about the machine and the different processes.
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Darr,

Thanks for replying. Your website was very cool! Outstanding images! I think a manual is coming with my unit. I hope everything is ok on the unit. I know its a crap shoot anytime you buy on ebay but for the most park I have had pretty good luck. Have you had any problems with your ATL 1000? Did you buy it new or was it used? What are the main problems with those type of units? I have tried to search for faults but not found to many people complaining about problems with them. Do you use the 2500 series reels for 4x5 or the expert tanks? Sorry about all the questions but I am very excited to get working with my unit.

Jamie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Jamie,

I bought my ATL 1000 used off of eBay as well. I have not had any problems with it except a little leakage when it was moved around. If it stays level, it always works well. I use the 2553 and 2523 tanks and I process 120/220 and 4x5 almost entirely except an occasional 135. I bought all new tanks and reels because what came with it originally were a bit ugly. I was able to purchase the tanks and reels from B & H, except the 2553 came from Midwest Photo. As far as known problems, I really do not know. With any E-6 process you have to watch your temp close. I bought a Delta Water Temp II faucet thermometer from Calumet to watch the temp since we have well water that feeds into the hot water heater.

I am currently using Tetenal Colortec E6 set at a temp of 100 degrees F and it always comes out well. I set it up and walk in every so often to check on the temp. If you will be using the same process over again, you only need to run one cleaning cycle with the large tank. If I switch from E6 to B&W (or the reverse), it requires three cleaning cycles. Just make sure you get yourself a large and small tank, plus a few reels. The large tank will process up to six 120 films with 660 ml (I do five with 600 ml) and two 120 with 250 ml (I do two with 300 ml). I use a little extra chemicals since the chemicals are cheap compared to the possibility of lost images. I use the 2553 tank for 4x5 with 2509N reels and for 120/220 films I use the 2502 adjustable reels.

Thank you for the compliments on my work. PM if you run into any difficulties as I do have a little bit of reference material and experience. I think you will be very happy with this processor once it is all setup. I know I appreciate mine!

Kind Regards,
    Darr
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy22
    Hello,

I just bought a Jobo ATL 1000. Way back in the late 80's I used a ATL1 lab so I know a little about them but have a few questions maybe somebody can help with. (long time ago)

1. On the old ATL1 I had a special loader to help guide the 120 film onto the reel. I noticed with the new 2502 reels I don't seem to see any loaders for sale anywhere. How do you load these reels? Can you use these reels to load 70mm film? ( If not what reel is used for 70mm?)

2. I want to process E6 film, what is the most economical way to go with chemistry. Any suggestions on who to buy this stuff from in the US? I live in Iowa so will have to have the stuff shipped from some where?
    I've been using an ATL-1000 for several years and would be happy to answer any questions you have. If you don't have a manual, there are really only two pages in the manual that are critical to have -- the one which describes how much chemistry is required for each possible tank/reel combination (and there are quite a few) and the chart which describes how to get just about any B&W time by using on the the pre-programmed times in combination the +5%, +10%, etc. dial.

The 120/220 reels don't have any special loader, but the 4x5 reels do. B&H lists this on their website and while some feel it is unnecessary, I think it makes loading the 4x5 reels easier.

For E6, the six-bath Tetenal 5 liter kits are the way to go. Adorama will ship these, but B&H will not for some reason. It is very convenient to mix up one liter of the kit at a time, which prolongs the life of the kit to at least 6 months.

I also use the Tetenal C-41 5 liter kits, which are very easy to use as well -- it is a two bath kit plus off-reel stablilizer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Rolfe,

Thanks for the info. Have you had any problems with your ATL1000 yet? Are there certain parts that breakdown in these units? Are parts hard to find? My unit is used and I am not sure what kind of condition it is in, but Im sure I will have to do some cleaning on it. I am still waiting for my unit to be delivered, I think there is suppose to be a manual with it. If you have time maybe you could email me the 2 pages you talked about.

Thanks,

Jamie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had no problems with my ATL-1000, which I bought used and have had for about five years. I think about the only thing that would need replaciing would be the rubber seals at the top of the six chemistry bottles. I suppose these must wear out eventually. Otherwise, it is a pretty simple unit and if it works, it is likely to just keep working. I'll scan in the two manual pages and email them to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin