Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,525   Online: 1106

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I have just seen this thread. What are the advantages of using digital RA4 paper and are there any disadvantages? For instance is digital RA4 paper OK in the same safelight such as a DUKA as conventional RA4?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are no differences to my knowledge between the papers other than packaging and sometimes the back printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Say whut?!?!

I am presently printing from Fuji "PRO 400H" negatives exposed with DynaLites in my studio - on Fuji "PII" paper.

The results look good ... but I am sort of dumbfounded by the dichroic head settings; this combination (Fuji + Fuji) appears to require cyan filtration, unlike Kodak or Agfa films printed on Kodak, Agfa, Ilford or even Fuji RA-4 papers.

"Standard" color filtration on my Omega D5500 (? Is that the model? - I haven't paid attention to that for a while..) for Fuji Pro 400H + Fuji Crystal Archive PII:

C(yan)= 12; M(agenta)=22; Y(ellow)= 00 (!!!)

Cyan - and NO yellow?

Any input from anyone else here?

BTW - I've checked ... It IS daylight film.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Say whut?!?!

I am presently printing from Fuji "PRO 400H" negatives exposed with DynaLites in my studio - on Fuji "PII" paper.

The results look good ... but I am sort of dumbfounded by the dichroic head settings; this combination (Fuji + Fuji) appears to require cyan filtration, unlike Kodak or Agfa films printed on Kodak, Agfa, Ilford or even Fuji RA-4 papers.

"Standard" color filtration on my Omega D5500 (? Is that the model? - I haven't paid attention to that for a while..) for Fuji Pro 400H + Fuji Crystal Archive PII:

C(yan)= 12; M(agenta)=22; Y(ellow)= 00 (!!!)

Cyan - and NO yellow?

Any input from anyone else here?

BTW - I've checked ... It IS daylight film.
    Ed. I am not sure if you are referring to digital paper here. If so what I am about to say may be irrelevant but I posted a thread about 2 months ago highlighting a problem with Fuji Crystal Archive MP which I had not experienced before with this paper. Most of my prints required under 10Y and some 0Y. A couple even needed 0Y and about 3C.

After correspondence with the supplier and Fuji and sending Fuji some prints, it sent fresh paper which I have yet to use. I could not eliminate several possible causes such as temp, dev etc for sure until I tried a box of Kodak Supra Endura which I hadn't realised I still had. I had noticed that my negs(Fuji Superia 100 and 400) were quite thin compared to what I had processed before and I wondered if this has any relevance. Anyway the Kodak paper prints required exactly the same filtration as it had been with previous Kodak paper. I sent this Kodak paer print to Fuji as well.

Fuji didn't actually give a reason why Kodak paper should use the previous Kodak filtration but Fuji required a quite different filtration from previously but still maintained that its new paper which is now labelled Fuji Cystal Archive( without the MP bit) required about the same filtration as the former CA MP.

I have yet to try it so can't say but I will let you know once I do try. I don't want to set unnecessary hares running and the problem may very well disappear but I thought I'd let you know what had happened as you seem to be indicating the same issue which until now I thought was only my problem.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen similar comments about Fuji paper.

This type of speed mismatch can cause degradation of colors, especially in yellows, due to punch through of the other layers when there is a yellow object.

You typically get orange yellows and orange reds.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Ed As an addendum to my reply, I can say that the local lab using Fuji digital paper does excellent prints so the Fuji paper it uses is certainly OK for its machines. This raises the possibility( remote I admit) that maybe I was given a box of Fuji digital paper which was wrongly labelled CA MP and that the problem stems from it being different to the former CA MP.

More questions than answers, I know but this remote possibility would fit with your experience and my problem, although you'd think Fuji would have mentioned it if it was even a remote possibility.

Anyway I should be able to confirm or otherwise this weekend hopefully whether my new Fuji CA paper exhibits this low Y phenomenon

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The new CA II paper from Fuji requires a new color developer.

Could this be the problem?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    The new CA II paper from Fuji requires a new color developer.

Could this be the problem?

PE
    Do you mean to say that fuji is deviating from standard RA4 dev. for its paper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji has announced CA Type II paper and the CP-49-E process for it.

This process uses a new developer, blix and a different wash cycle which they claim is incompatible with conventional RA paper and process.

The results are reported by Yosida, Deguci, and Takada on P 257 of the ICIS proceedings. This new paper uses a new set of couplers to match with this entirely new process.

They say, don't mix and match papers and processes.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    Fuji has announced CA Type II paper and the CP-49-E process for it.

This process uses a new developer, blix and a different wash cycle which they claim is incompatible with conventional RA paper and process.

The results are reported by Yosida, Deguci, and Takada on P 257 of the ICIS proceedings. This new paper uses a new set of couplers to match with this entirely new process.

They say, don't mix and match papers and processes.

PE
    Great :rolleyes:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin