Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,624   Online: 724

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm

color film

I think Fuji nps is the way to go. Process it your self or better yet find a good pro lab.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by agGNOME
    Well, if you look at what is currently produced for a daylight-balanced CN film that fits your description I'd suggest Fuji 160s (just bought 20 rolls). Both Fuji's and Kodak's color portrait offerings are good; and both have regular and higher contrast/saturation versions.
    In my experience Fuji 160s has a bit more contrast than Kodak 160NC. I can't comment on the Fuji 160c or Kodak 160vc.
    The 400 portrait versions are comparable too, but I it's been a while since I've used either.
    One CN film that I'd like to try is Fuji Reala (100) ; anyone have experience with Reala (in 120)?
    I have had a grinning face after processing 120 Reala out of the Pentax 645. Quite contrasty, but not so much that you'll jump out of your socks. The greens and reds are spot-on beautiful to me. Blues seemed a tiny bit toward the magenta, but not enough to negate the beauty of the green/red spectrums. The landscapes in the rain forest were very, very nice in their true rendition of tones.

Haven't tried Reala on skin tones, but I've heard good about it for that as well.

Grain is extremely tight, and the stuff enlarges quite nicely. I realize that is pretty subjective, seeing as I only have made one enlargement (16x20) !!! However, the tones held beautifully, and the the "grain" was STILL practically a non-entity.

I now keep a couple of bricks handy in the fridge, and that's saying something for me (I usually sort of just buy a roll or two at a time of film, but the Reala has certainly worked its way into my list of faves). Sadly though, I am seeing the last of the local stockpiles dwindling.

Laurence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Add my vote to Fuji Pro 160S , or if you want a bit more contrast Fuji Pro 160C superb films.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm happy with both 100UC and Pro 160S. They are both very low graininess films that can cope with a wide scene brightness range. I tend to use more Pro 160S because it is available in 220 and 4x5, which 100UC isn't.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    I've recently decided to pick up color work again (I've been mostly doing B&W lansdscape and architectural stuff), and I'm looking for suggestions of films to use. I like the all - around look of Kodachrome, but it is a slide film that I do not have the equipment to print form (also way too pricey).

Soo - does anybody have reccomendations for a color film for lanscape / architectural photo work? I'm looking for something with fairly accurate color, medium saturation and nice fine grain ... and also something good for portrait work, which I've recently begun to play around with.

Any suggestions?
    I can't help you much with landscape (100UC would be my guess). For architectural I'd use 100t for tung, NPL for mixed and 160 nc for daylight. I suspect 160s does a good job but can't recommend it for lack of experience.

For portraiture I'd use 160nc

Images
    I really like 160NC.

You are really going to have to go buy a role of each and shoot them side by side to decide what will work for you. Film choice is as personal as toilet paper preference. WHat is comfortable to another may be a bit too scratchy for your tastes.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    What pinholemaster said,
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Another vote for 160VC for landscape. Printed on Ultra Endura works best for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin