Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,852   Online: 1000

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, so the following is hardly going to be a great basis for evaluation of Provia or Astia for many reasons, some of those are: low res. files, monitor & gamma differences (mac here), number of examples, subject/lighting/metering conditions will differ from yours.
    As everyone else would say the best thing is to try yourself, but some basic characteristics may help someone choose where to begin.
    As the person who shot these I can reflect on how the transparency compares to the original scene. In short, the Astia has a bit more accurate color fidelity, is lower in contrast, marginally better shadow detail, no 'enhanced' saturation and has a fairly neutral color balance ( maybe, just maybe a tinge green).
    The Provia, in comparison to the original scenes: also has very accurate color, is more saturated though not unnaturally so, and is noticeably sharper and finer grained.
    Last edited by agGNOME; 05-19-2006 at 08:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last one is astia. Sorry, I didn't have more astia scanned.
    Last edited by agGNOME; 05-18-2006 at 11:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the examples...

How would you describe the difference between current Sensia and Astia 100F ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ed, Sorry I've never used Sensia. Of the possible film choices you laid out, and considering your criteria I'd encourage you to pick up a roll of Provia and Astia and get started. Shoot the same scene on both...compare...conclude, and report back to share. Throw caution out the window...I don't think you will be disappointed with either film. Good Luck

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Astia isn't a good film for landscape work, I think you will be disappointed; it was designed for product photography and won't capture the nuance of color you are looking for. Again, I suggest using either Velvia 100 or Provia 100.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    roteque, but Velvia 100 exaggerates colors just like the old 50, doesn't it?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Davor
    roteque, but Velvia 100 exaggerates colors just like the old 50, doesn't it?
    Velvia is more saturated than other film, the 100 almost as much as the old 50. That is why I also suggested the Provia - it is a great film, very sharp, not as saturated. If you are looking for nuance of color, you aren't going to get it in a film like Astia. I think you will find that nuance of color and saturation go hand in hand - there is a reason that the majority of landscape photographers choose Velvia, and it is not just a liking for saturated color. I have never found any film that gives me the subtle color distinctions that I get from Velvia.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just got my Provia 100F back from the lab (second round of shots). The colors/saturation look very natural, and I cannot stress how sharp this film is.
    From my dealings with velvia, it is a 'saturated' kind of thing. Good for flowers, etc.
    My rule of thumb is like this: where would I kodak NC film vs VC ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert is certainly right about the characteristics of Astia. This is why I quickly abandoned Astia in favor of Provia. My objectives were/are accurate color with realistic saturation; Astia basically has none. Velvia is too saturated for my needs. I can see how Astia would not necessarily be the typical landscape film, but reading the original post I got the impression your priority was color accuracy over saturation.
    I think the suggestion of Provia is sound advice, or at least the best place to start based on your goals. I noticed some provia additions to the galleries...have a look.

SteveH mentioned how sharp Provia is....very true.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well you people say saturation comes with color nuances, well, how do you capture every nuance of color right, if the film distorts the actual colors?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin