Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,758   Online: 876

C41 colour calibration

Colour balance of prints seems to me quite subjective but I am printing a series of pictures from different negatives (Fuji 100/400 and Kodak 160/400) on Fuji paper and should like to get consistency in colour hues in my prints.
    Question is whether there is a standard test print that can be photographed using different films then processed and printed to get a good idea of filtrations for different films.
    My current problem is that some of my pictures are of monochromatic items where it is difficult to remember clearly what colour they were eg ornate moulded plaster ceilings , carved doors in very old very dark wood - hint of blueish or brownish cast?, carved cherubs on a staircase - what exactly was the shade of brown?
    Failing availability of a commercially available test image what sort of homemade image would anyone recommend? I have plenty of acrylic paints to make a test image but would that be a sensible idea?
    Thanks

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Macbeth color checker?

OTOH my analyzer uses a grey card negative to calibrate.

Macbeth is alot more money but I guess it lets you just look at a print and compare.

http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/index/p...orchecker.htm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will find, in general that Kodak paper prints both Fuji and Kodak films better than Fuji paper will print Kodak films.

You will also find that Fuji films shot over the years will vary more in balance than the equivalent Kodak films.

Kodak has used a fixed color balance for all films since the 50s, and therefore, I can print at a rather fixed filter pack on my enlarger.

The use of the color checker is ideal however. I often shoot one at the head and tail of a roll to insure end to end uniformity in processing as well as overall balance.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    The best way I think is to have the color checker negatives in each roll. Use color analyzer to adjust filter packs. Use color reflection densitometer to check the print.

Thanks
    There's asupplier only about 10 miles away.
    Cheers
    Jeff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin