Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,747   Online: 982

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

c41 processing for 35mm panoramic camera's (XPan, Horizont, ect)

Does anybody out there know of a U.S. photo lab that will process c41 negs from a XPan or Horizont,Horizon camera with prints included. I can process the film myself and scan the negatives. But I want real film prints and I don't currently have a darkroom setup to do this. Website address would be best.

Thanks James,

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't offer the name of a lab that'll do this, but I can say that most photofinishers seem to have gone digital, so when you get "real film prints," you're really getting digital prints from scans made by the photofinisher, although many still use RA-4 paper and chemicals. Given that fact, you might consider processing the film yourself, scanning it, and sending the scans to somebody who'll make appropriately-proportioned prints on RA-4 paper. This would probably be safer than sending your film out, particularly to one of the big places; I have visions of an automatic machine slicing panoramic negatives down the middle. A smaller custom lab would probably be less likely to do this, but also more expensive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is there a negative carrier to print this type of negative?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, there are Xpan neg carriers and adjustible neg carriers for printing Xpan negs, and such things are not difficult to fabricate for enlargers that don't have these as standard options.

I don't know that you'll find a lab that offers cheap proofs for Xpan negs. Better to go to a professional lab, order development with a contact sheet, and have the good ones printed optically.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Many digital labs should be able to do RA-4 prints from Xpan & other panoramic 35mm negs, but as pointed out you will then be getting a "digital print".
    To get them printed optically you will have to do it yourself, unless you happen to find a lab which is still using an optical equipment, and also happens to have a suitable neg carrier, which is unlikey, since nearly all prolabs have gone digital, especially for proof-type prints which is what you are after.
    Hope this helps.
    Film's not dead, it's just got a negative image.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran
    Is there a negative carrier to print this type of negative?
    The negative is 24mm x 56mm, at least for the Horizon, so a 6x6 carrier works, just have to mask it a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks

I had a fealing that nobody did this. I just process the film myself and scan to 0's and 1's. Then get sombody to make the prints.

Thanks James,

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin