Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,693   Online: 833

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Hi Noons, not sure if you'll know but I'll ask anyway, are you aware of any new restrictions in place on photography around Uluru? Are people still permitted to climb the rock? I seem remember reading somewhere that climbing the rock was to be stopped due to Aboriginal objections.

Not new ones, just what's been in place for a few years now: you can still climb the rock but it's verbally discouraged. I wouldn't let this stop you, though: as the other folks commented, the local natives more than likely had nothing to do with that and it's still the main reason people go there. The view is worth it! Take it away and the place might as well close.

There are a few spots around the rock that are sacred and have been so for a long time and where the local Aboriginals ask folks not to take pictures. Fair enough, it's only a few places anyway. And there is PLENTY of other good angles to explore. You can still photograph around the rock from the outer track, the views are superb.

The news about the Valley of the Winds is very disturbing! It's a magical place indeed, but from there to asking folks not to walk in... I can't help the feeling the local Aboriginals probably had little interference on that one!

Time to rescue my slides form the area and scan/duplicate them just in case the Kodachrome gives up...

There is an airstrip and a high-end hotel in a resort around 20Kms or so from the rock. Complete with swimming pool and other lunacy, prices matching.
    Place is called Yulara, look it up on the net.

I stayed there in the late 80s in a caravan in the camping ground which was a LOT cheaper. That'd be my first choice nowadays, if still available: the hotel is just plain silly expensive.

Someone else mentioned Mt Connor? That's around 70Kms East of Uluru and off the main road: you need a properly equiped vehicle or a tour in order to visit it. It's quite a place as well: I'd make an effort to go there. The road in goes through some almost pristine desert shrub vegetation that used to be all around the place. Superb nature and landscape photography there!
    Cheers
    from Sydney Australia

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can explore most of Ayers Rock with your camera unless you are a pro photographer. You can't publish any shot (in any form) without paying a fee and having approval to do so.

I'm not interested in visiting the place.

Graeme
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is both a bit late and a bit off-topic, but what is with all this talk that goes something like this: "...if *sigh* you can still get the Velvia 50..." and so on. B&H told me that they have "thousands of rolls" in stock (June/2006). If anyone wants the Velvia 50, why not buy it now then, and stick it in the freezer? It does not appear to be hard to get at this point in time at $5/roll of 36 in 35mm. Perhaps other formats are more of a problem?

Now, I, of course, understand that it will not be produced indefinitely, to be discontinued some time this year, in fact, but already dozens of posts and references across this and other forums exist referring to this film (in 35mm) as either already dead or impossible to get. Something similar is going on with Kodachrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    In regards to Velvia 50, unfortunately we were forced to discontinue this product as we are no longer able to source one of the raw materials used for the production of Velvia 50. I wonder what raw material it was?
    I believe it was the film base that was discontinued. IIRC, there is only one company now still manufacturing base materials. This has led to the discontinuation of other products as the number of materials has narrowed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Colden
    Now, I, of course, understand that it will not be produced indefinitely, to be discontinued some time this year, in fact, but already dozens of posts and references across this and other forums exist referring to this film (in 35mm) as either already dead or impossible to get. Something similar is going on with Kodachrome.

The actual production of Velvia ISO 50 was discontinued in Dec of 2005, the stocks you are seeing at stores is the last of the ISO 50 films, our local store that I used to work at, can no longer get it from the suppliers and this will continue to be a declining product as the stocks are bought up, I have several thousands of rolls myself that have been in the freezer and will continue to deplete as I shoot it..

R.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin