Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,228   Online: 887

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Why velvia 50 died

I know. after thanking fuji for staying with films. they told me this:

In regards to Velvia 50, unfortunately we were forced to discontinue this
    product as we are no longer able to source one of the raw materials used
    for the production of Velvia 50. However, we have replaced Velvia 50 with
    the new Velvia 100 film, which proves to be as good as the original 50 with
    a finer grain and twice the speed.

I wonder what raw material it was?

Marko

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never seen an indication of what the material was. I recall seeing something saying it was the sole supplier of the material that had stopped production, and that Fuji couldn't go into production of the material themselves because it wasn't economically feasible.

Lee

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That is the same explanation I heard as well. However, a Fuji rep I talked to told me it was more a matter of Velvia 50 being a very old emulsion and Fuji wanted to upgrade it to be more like the rest of the F line. I suspect that both are probably the case, except the former was probably more a cost factor than an availablilty factor.

Regardless, Velvia 100 is what we have, and what we have to live with. I find the 100 to be a good substitute in many, but not all, situations. For those situations I have a small stock of the 50 left.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just cheer you up a bit Robert I may give the Velvia 100 a try. The last time I shot transparencies was in 1987.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Just cheer you up a bit Robert I may give the Velvia 100 a try. The last time I shot transparencies was in 1987.
    Good man...

Perhaps, when I visit England again (maybe next summer) you can show them to me - after you show me the local pub, that is.

BTW, I've been to that spot, as well as the rock formation in the background.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    I wonder what raw material it was?
    One of the couple thousand chemicals that are used to make the emulsion.

My dealer still has Velvia 50 in 135, 120, 4x5" and 8x10" formats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Good man...

Perhaps, when I visit England again (maybe next summer) you can show them to me - after you show me the local pub, that is.

BTW, I've been to that spot, as well as the rock formation in the background.
    My local pub is a bit of a 'flying bottle' as we say here. Not a good place to take a guest to this country!

That spot was a few meters up from the top of the 'chain' as I took a breather before continuing to the top and signing the guestbook. Not sure what they're called today, but in '87 those rocks were called Mt Olga.

Ps. Shot in '87. Not as pretty as your avatar though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    My local pub is a bit of a 'flying bottle' as we say here. Not a good place to take a guest to this country!

That spot was a few meters up from the top of the 'chain' as I took a breather before continuing to the top and signing the guestbook. Not sure what they're called today, but in '87 those rocks were called Mt Olga.

Ps. Shot in '87. Not as pretty as your avatar though.
    The Aboriginal name for the Olgas is "Kata Tjuta" - they have gotten away from calling these places by their English names.

Not to worry about the Uluru picture, my avartar came from Australia.com - none of my images of Uluru are that good, and I don't plan on returning there (too touristy).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hoping to visit the rock next year. Don't know if will get to climb it, as youngest son may not be up to it yet (me either unless I get a bit fitter!). I think most 'locals' call Ayers Rock by it's 'native' name these days, but nobody knows the Olgas name, nor can pronounce it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember some of the features... the Dingo God's Paw Prints and the Kangaroo Tail at Uluru, the Dying Kangaroo Man at Mt Olga... and don't forget Mt Connor on the way to Uluru.

The climb is pretty easy after the chain, so long as you follow the dotted line. If you don't you could end up with your name on a nice little bronze memorial plaque at the base of the climb.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin