Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,655   Online: 804

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Where to get C-41 negs processed?

Where is a good place to get color negatives processed around Evanston, IL, USA?

I just picked up a roll from Osco, and many of the pictures have a purple/red color cast even if they where exposed by a pop-up flash or sunlight. Plus contrast is too high for my tastes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like the chemistry in the processors machine was oxidizing, I would try another lab, most 1 hours labs can do better work than this, one other thing that could cause what your describing is old film, or film that has been exposed to heat...how long was the film in the camera? or do you know if it has been exposed to heat or humidity, what brand of film? the processing of C41 is a pretty straight forward process and for something to go wrong is very odd..is it just the pictures that have a cast, or have you inspected the negatives, if the negatives look okay take them to another lab and have them do some prints to compare what Osco did for you.

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The film was bought sometime April I think. It's Fuji Supria 400. The film was put in the camera on Monday when I got it. I don't think the film has been exposed to excessive heat or humidity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, forget the prints, what do the negatives look like? Like I said, C41 is a pretty straight forward process, you need to acertain whether something happened in the C41 process or something in the print RA4 process went wrong, if the negs look okay, then I would suggest taking them to another lab and have them make a set of prints for you, there is a ton of latitude in print negs, so I would imagine it is not the processing of the film that is the problem, but the person running the printer that had a problem

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I can't really tell how the negatives look, they all have a brownish-orange tint.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If they have a brownish-orange tint then the negs sound okay, take them to another shop and have them make a set of prints from them, C41 negs should have a brownish-orange tint to them, it does not sound like the negative processing was the problem, but someone running the print machine did not know what they were doing...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think I may have jumped to a wrong conclusion based on quickly looking through the photographs. Many of the photographs where flowers which may have had a slight purplish hue.

Only 2 of them have the purple cast. They are snapshots that I took of the neighbors kids. Both of them where illuminated by a pop-up flash. The flesh looks a little purplish. The background however is illuminated by tungsten. I'm wondering if the background confused the developer. Maybe the pictures got developed with a 3000K white balance?

Edit: Scanned the image into the gimp and I was quickly able to set the correct the white balance on the face. Which confirms to me that the place got the white balance incorrect. Will try to get it reprinted tomarrow by osco.
    Last edited by reub2000; 05-28-2006 at 05:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Getting good color and contrast from color negatives has always been tricky, and 99% of the time, the reason is the printing stage, not the negative development stage. With machine-made prints (which is almost certainly what you got from Osco), the problem is usually that the machine doesn't have a clue what it's printing; it just tries to balance the colors according to some algorithm that might or might not be appropriate for the scene. Sometimes there's a bias in the print-making chemistry (because it's gone bad) or other print-making technology, too.

My experience is that machines are generally better at getting the color balance right today than they were ten or twenty years ago; however, many photofinishers today favor ultra-high-contrast settings, which results in massive loss of detail in the shadows and/or the highlights. This is one reason I've switched to doing my own C-41 processing; I get better results doing that, scanning the negatives, and having prints made from my scans than I do letting the photofinishers do it all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, one more thing: I don't know about the Evanston, IL area, but if you're willing to do mail-order photofinishing, try ABC Photo Lab in Connecticut or PhotoWorks in Seattle, Washington. Neither is a pro lab, but in my experience they're both high-quality consumer labs. Pro labs are likely to do still better work, but will charge more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    tell them not to use cc filters(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin