Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,316   Online: 923

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Eastman 5247 processing?

In my collection of old films, I had a roll of tungsten-balanced Eastman 5247 film (motion picture re-rolled into a 135 cartridge).

I shot it just to see what would happen; and now it (obviously) needs to be developed. Is there a way for me to develop this in C-41 color developer?

I'm aware this film isn't great, but oh well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acro...h247/h2407.pdf

Formulas start on pg 29. At the very least you'll need the pre-bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The process is ECN-2 (snip)

Oops! Beat me to the draw, Nick!

Images
    Good Morning,

Some years ago, there were several labs on the west coast which specialized in processing this film. I have no idea if they are still in existence.

Konical

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    IIRC, that has the anti-halation backing on it like Kodachrome, and will majorly foul up a mini-lab machine if you try to run it thru it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never tried it, but I understand that ECN-2 film can be cross-processed as C-41. From what I hear, the results are likely to be reasonable, given your expectations. The tough part is getting the rem-jet anti-halation backing off; I don't know what techniques would work for this in a small tank.

Alternatively, there are outfits that will process this film and make prints from it. One is Rocky Mountain Film Lab, but they're pricey and slow. Dale Labs is one that used to ship out such film for use in still cameras and process it. I heard recently that they'll still process ECN-2 film, but I haven't tried to verify that. At the very least, it's worth checking their Web site and perhaps e-mailing them. To the best of my knowledge, PhotoWorks (formerly Seattle FilmWorks) and Signature Color, two labs that used to deliver and process ECN-2 films for still-camera use, will no longer process it, but you might try e-mailing them for suggestions if you don't like the other options.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Dale still process ECN-2 films - that's where I get mine done if I'm using it as still film. They charge $4 per roll for dev only and $12 for dev and print. Be prepared to wait a while because they seem to do them in batches every couple of weeks or so.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm ... commercial processing ... does it make any difference that the film is [rather] old?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Several things are working against you. First, and most important, the film is old. Second, the C-41 process will produce a different color balance than the correct ECN-2 process for this film. Third, this film is designed to be printed on MP color positive film which has a slightly different color balance than color paper.

It's possible to process this film in small tanks. The Dignan Newletter gave a workable method. IIRC, the Rem-Jet coating was removed after the stopbath and before the bleach since at this point it could be done under normal room lighting rather than in total darkness before the developer.

Years ago I processed all told about 100 ft of this film. MP ECN-2 color negative film can produce quite acceptable prints and is fun to play with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's the base color on this film; is it clear or masked like C-41?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin