Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,778   Online: 1028
      
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The highest state
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,917
    No one buys a 36 canvas pile and paints all of them in one month.

    Don't shoot it like film, because it is more than that and with a refined approach to shooting it, it will materialize as such and at that point, it will all seem to be a bargain.



    Quote Originally Posted by battra92
    I would hope more time. I'd shoot it if it didn't cost 3-4X the price of shooting E-6

  2. #12
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,290
    Images
    20
    Actually, I still use K-64 for bird photos.

    Here's a favorite K-25 shot. I don't think I could get this look in 35mm with any of the E-6 films--

    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Dear PKM-25,

    Sorry, don't quite see your point.

    My favourite colour film of all time (and the one on which I got the most good pictures) was Fuji RF/RFP ISO 50.

    I think that I did on occasion 'make it sing' (to use your phrase). And I could say that RF/RFP at its best could 'blow away' any Kodachrome, of mine or anyone else's. There's not much point in saying this, though, because it's a hopelessly subjective statement, just like your assertion about Kodachrome.

    Yes, Kodachrome could indeed look different from other films. So could RF/RFP. What is your point here? YOU liked it. So did many others. That doesn't mean that it is in any absolute sense 'the best'.

    I'd also sugggest that while a good photographer can (and indeed should) exploit any film to get its best, especially a film he loves, it's a poor photographer who is defined by a single film.

    Anyway, the real point is that although I used very little else, there weren't enough people buying RF/RFP, so it died (besides, the poisonous Velvia 50 came along). The same will happen to Kodachrome sooner or later. Sad but true.

    Cheers,

    Roger

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The highest state
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,917
    The point would have to be that if some one is posting a thread on how a fine documentary and tribute is going to come about and why, what is the point of chiming in as to why you don't like or use film?

    All that does is start a what is better banter and that is a waste. If you were to go see a large show of images that you really took too and had never seen before, would finding out it was on a film you personally never liked change your viewpoint?

    I used RFP, I like KR better. By the way, you can still shoot KR, so how about we talk about it in a present sense then?

    Give me a couple of years, I'll show you what I am talking about with this film.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear PKM-25,

    Sorry, don't quite see your point.

    My favourite colour film of all time (and the one on which I got the most good pictures) was Fuji RF/RFP ISO 50.

    I think that I did on occasion 'make it sing' (to use your phrase). And I could say that RF/RFP at its best could 'blow away' any Kodachrome, of mine or anyone else's. There's not much point in saying this, though, because it's a hopelessly subjective statement, just like your assertion about Kodachrome.

    Yes, Kodachrome could indeed look different from other films. So could RF/RFP. What is your point here? YOU liked it. So did many others. That doesn't mean that it is in any absolute sense 'the best'.

    I'd also sugggest that while a good photographer can (and indeed should) exploit any film to get its best, especially a film he loves, it's a poor photographer who is defined by a single film.

    Anyway, the real point is that although I used very little else, there weren't enough people buying RF/RFP, so it died (besides, the poisonous Velvia 50 came along). The same will happen to Kodachrome sooner or later. Sad but true.

    Cheers,

    Roger

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Iskra 2
    Amen! My 50 year old slides still "light up" the screen and interest the kids when projected or printed. The "other" slide films are fading away. Good luck with your project! Regards.
    Several years ago I raided my parents' slide collection to create a picture book for one of their anniversaries. The Kodachromes were amazing. Some were from the mid-40's, yet they looked as if they had been shot the day before yesterday.

  6. #16
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,290
    Images
    20
    I've posted this link before--Passover 1950 with the Goldfarbs (about 2.5 Mb) in Kodachrome (after the religious events were over)--

    http://www.echonyc.com/~goldfarb/temp/sweet.wmv
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  7. #17
    battra92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25
    No one buys a 36 canvas pile and paints all of them in one month.

    Don't shoot it like film, because it is more than that and with a refined approach to shooting it, it will materialize as such and at that point, it will all seem to be a bargain.
    Eh, don't get me wrong, I love the Kodachrome look, but I tend to use it only at car shows for some reason. $15 a 36 including processing for 35mm is a bit much. I love that "etched" look but really admittidly do not have 30 years of practice with it. I've shot it before but never was able to spend the time and devotion to learn the ins and outs of it.

    What's too bad is that you can't get it in 120. I'm sure a 6 x 6 Kodachrome slide would be stunning! That etched look would be really keen!

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The highest state
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,917
    Quote Originally Posted by battra92
    What's too bad is that you can't get it in 120. I'm sure a 6 x 6 Kodachrome slide would be stunning! That etched look would be really keen!
    I have shot it in 120 about 15 years ago, pretty neat indeed. But you can shoot it in 35mm X 65mm in a Hasselblad XPan, that is what I have been doing...:-).

  9. #19
    DBP
    DBP is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,883
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by battra92
    Eh, don't get me wrong, I love the Kodachrome look, but I tend to use it only at car shows for some reason. $15 a 36 including processing for 35mm is a bit much.
    I'm confused. I've never noticed that Kodachrome is more expensive than E-6 films. For example, K200 at B&H is currently $7.19, E200 $8.95, and domestic Sensia 200 $7.95. Is it the expense of the K-14 process versus doing your own E-6? Admittedly shooting C-41 and going to the drugstore lab is cheaper, but with good reason.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    it's a poor photographer who is defined by a single film.
    .... or by a single camera, paper, developer, lens or anything else. However, with Kodachrome, the issue of colour permanence is hard to ignore. Unfortunately, where I live in SW England we have a very damp climate and although the colours of my earliest KCs are OK (35 years), they are from the cardboard mount days and have suffered quite often from fungus growth. On the other hand plastic mounted Fuji, Agfa and Boots although not nearly as good technically then or now don't show the threads or purple blobs of fungus anywhere near as often.

    Steve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin