Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,561,002   Online: 1057

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

K_crome: How much time do we have?

Hello there,

It is time I let my cat out of the bag. I am working on a tribute to K_crome, mind the cryptics for search engine protection. I have spent the last 2 years getting the right film gear together along with the film it's self.

I have for the project:

60 rolls of 200
    140 rolls of 64
    70 rolls of 25

1 Hasselblad Xpan, all three lenses, underwater housing.
    2 Nikon FM3A's, 1-F4S, 8 lenses, underwater housing.

Kenyon KS-6 Gyro stabilizer for aerial. The housings are not for marine work so much as other moisture laden images.

Hensel Porty 1,200 watt battery powered strobe.

When a couple of grants come in, I am looking at adding another 100 of 64 & 200. I am working with Grant at D_waynes on all this, have been for 2 years.

I am lining up a few trips for the road, basically a modern look at Americana in between my other shoots this Summer to get images to show prospective backers and publishers.

I hope to have about 2 years to do this, so I am putting out feelers to those who might have heard rumours as to when the film might be nixed by the yellow box company. Grant figures he will be souping the film at least a year after the film is officially discontinued, but we'll see.

If the film is around for longer for what I assume, 2 more years, I will be happy, but we all know it won't last forever seeing how the company is posting pretty gnarly losses...:-(.

What ya think?

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Best of luck with the project! I shiver with antici --- --- {say it} PATION for the results.

I'm having a final fling with Kodachrome, although I don't have any more 25. I hadn't shot any for maybe 20 years until last spring (2005) and I shot a few rolls just so I could do it before it goes bibi 4ever.

I just ordered a few more rolls. I have no clue how long it will be sold. I'm sure that Big K will be announcing some kind of intent to discontinue it before they actually stop shipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello there PKM-25, your wish for the demise of Kodachrome so you can get your grant and travel the world taking pictures with it is sort of interesting. How much processing is Grant doing now compared to the last few years? Is he saying it's all over, nobody is using it anymore? Do we all know Kodachrome is destined to be discontinued? Do Kodak's "gnarly" losses have anything to do with Kodachromes demise? Regards.
    Last edited by Iskra 2; 05-29-2006 at 09:03 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: mistake

Shooter
    35mm RF

I shot K14

Hi all
    Buy Kodachrome and use it!
    it seems the best (or maybe the only) way to pospone its discontinuation.
    BTW, if this convinces someone: the only reason I started lately to use K14 is for its conservation qualities. when I discover what was the gap in archivability between K14 and ALL the rest...It was a no-brainer.
    and yes, I shoot my family and memories that I don't wont to see faded in 20 or 30 years. The investment in time worth it by far, at least for me.
    So buy it, use it, I need it to be available for the next 20 years, untill my kids fly away from home :-)
    Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iskra 2
    Hello there PKM-25, your wish for the demise of K_dachrome so you can get your grant and travel the world taking pictures with it is sort of interesting. How much processing is Grant doing now compared to the last few years? Is he saying it's all over, nobody is using it anymore? Do we all know Kodachrome is destined to be discontinued? Do Kodak's "gnarly" losses have anything to do with K_dachromes demise? Regards.
    Well, I am the last person to wish it's demise. If the project lasts 20 years, all the better. If anything, I am concerned that with only 3 labs in the world to soup it and K-Dak's need to remain profitable, it might fall earlier. I have poured about 10K into being able to shoot it the way it should be shot. I hope we ALL have no less than 5 years, but we'll see. Grant does not see any unusual changes in the flow of work. It seems to me from what I have heard, B&H says it is still popular as well.

It is through 30 years of experience in my 39 years that I believe that it is the single most influential color film of all time. The thought of putting 64 and 25 though a sharp as heck Xpan is over the top to me. The start page on my browser is 25 speed on the "bay". Some times it is outrageous, like $34 a roll. Other times I get really lucky like when a guy posted 8 rolls of batch 1571 / 2003 with a buy it now of $100. Gone in 5 minutes, into my lead lined freezer it goes.

The title of this piece will be called "O_r Am_rican Dre_m". This is a subject born of my own personal disbelief in how out government is run and how the country is portrayed in the media. Even the great yellow bordered mag is doing a not-so-great job at revealing the magic of who we are as a collective people in the last 5-7 years.

I grew up shooting this stuff. The first roll, 25, was at the first Space Shuttle landing at Edwards Air-force Base. I was 13. By the time I was 18, I had the stuff down pretty good. I shot it until about 95 when it seemed to be a long turn around compared to the new E-6 stuff.

2-3 years, I hope I am wrong, that would be great. But this is what my feelers have came up with thus far. Either way, the tremendous film as a still stock is 71 years old this year. So the 25 will sit in the freezer safe until the word is given. I hope I can add to it, the stuff is getting really scarce and I have spent a fortune in getting what I have now. I hope to shoot about 150-200 rolls of 64 and 200 per year until I and it are done.

After that, I will start every so selectively on the 1,200 feet of Tech-Pan I have in my possession...:-).

As much as I love shooting digital for my other pro work, I dislike some of the ignorance it has created. This film is a true work of art and I personally will not let it die quietly.

There will never be anything else like it, ever again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25
    There will never be anything else like it, ever again.
    Amen! My 50 year old slides still "light up" the screen and interest the kids when projected or printed. The "other" slide films are fading away. Good luck with your project! Regards.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sounds like a great project. Over at filmshooting.com, some people participated in a "pass the cart" tribute to K-40 in Super-8.

I had 40 rolls from the last batch of K-25 in the freezer, but as I was shooting less and less 35mm except for birds (for which K-25 isn't the ideal film), and the price was getting nutty, I sold it off on eBay. I did keep one last roll in my Voigtlander Vitessa-L and spent about a year shooting it, and I sold the camera when I finished the roll. Here are a couple of the last shots--

http://www.apug.org/forums/attachmen...achmentid=3573

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...=500&ppuser=60
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    That's the point, really, isn't it?

Fewer and fewer people use it, and most of those that do, use less and less of it.

Even 10 years ago the advantages over E6 were slender enough that many people had switched to E6. Today's E6 films are so good that I've not shot Kodachrome for several years.

Yes, it will be sad to see it go. But if I'm honest, I don't buy it, so I won't really miss it. Emotionally, perhaps. As a photographer, no.

As someone else said, if you want to see it stay in production, BUY IT AND SHOOT IT!

This is of course true of any film, paper, camera....

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would hope more time. I'd shoot it if it didn't cost 3-4X the price of shooting E-6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you love any medium enough, you can make it sing, and if you can make it sing, it has a voice.

I have Kodachromes that blow away any E-6 film.

You have to be at the top of your game to get it to do that. When that is accomplished, then nothing can touch that incredible look, nothing.

I have shot both E-6 and K-14 and seen David Alan Harvey, Jay Maisel, Pete Turner, Eric Meola and Galen Rowell's work long enough to know that in the proper circumstances, Kodachrome can and will look amazingly different than any other film.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    That's the point, really, isn't it?

Fewer and fewer people use it, and most of those that do, use less and less of it.

Even 10 years ago the advantages over E6 were slender enough that many people had switched to E6. Today's E6 films are so good that I've not shot Kodachrome for several years.

Yes, it will be sad to see it go. But if I'm honest, I don't buy it, so I won't really miss it. Emotionally, perhaps. As a photographer, no.

As someone else said, if you want to see it stay in production, BUY IT AND SHOOT IT!

This is of course true of any film, paper, camera....

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin