Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,834   Online: 1120

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    looks like seattle film works has changed their name to photoworks.
    http://www.photoworks.com/

doesn't look like it is the same place though ...
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    Just last night I was sorting 35mm slides from the mid 70s and found 4 or 5 rolls of 5247 that were processed by Seattle Film works, all have faded to point where I would need have them "Photo Shopped" to get decent prints.
    If you're saying that the slides made from the negatives were faded, then that has to do with the copy film, not the 5247 per se. I've heard the same thing about slides from ECN-2 films made in the 1970s; however, I've got a few rolls of ECN-2 film for which I had slides made in the mid-1980s, and those slides are fine (or were a few months ago, when I last examined them). My understanding is that there were massive improvements in the copy film made sometime in the late 1970s or early 1980s, but I don't remember the details. I hope you've still got the original negatives; those would produce better prints than the slides, anyhow, since the slides are copies. (At least, assuming you don't want a special "look," such as that produced by Ilfochrome.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    looks like seattle film works has changed their name to photoworks.
    http://www.photoworks.com/

doesn't look like it is the same place though ...
    My understanding is that it is the same place; they just changed their name (presumably because of the rise of digital; they didn't want "film" in their name any more) and their product line and services have evolved over time. They quietly dropped the ECN-2 film in the mid-1990s, but they labelled their C-41 cassettes "process SFW-XL" or some such in an attempt to "lock in" the business. I believe they've stopped that little bit of misdirection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, it is a motion picture film. I recall that there were several places offering the film and process/copy service.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As already mentioned, Dale in Hollywood, Florida still process ECN-2 colour movie film regularly. It costs $4 per roll for processing. They no longer provide the film though. If you wanted to use movie film try The Film Emporium http://www.filmemporium.com/ for 'short ends'. There are other places that sell short ends of movie film. Short ends of 35 mm film around 100 ft long (ie about a minute) aren't much use, so they sell cheaply. Something like 14¢ or 15¢ a foot.

There was a class action lawsuit against SFW "claiming the photo processor misled consumers by indicating its film could only be processed by the company. The suit... asserts that most of the film distributed by Seattle FilmWorks in recent years was ordinary film that did not require special handling and might have been processed more quickly and cheaply by others." Maybe that had something to do with why they changed their name? The lawsuit and the name change happened at about the same time: early 2000.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    If you're saying that the slides made from the negatives were faded, then that has to do with the copy film, not the 5247 per se. I've heard the same thing about slides from ECN-2 films made in the 1970s; however, I've got a few rolls of ECN-2 film for which I had slides made in the mid-1980s, and those slides are fine (or were a few months ago, when I last examined them). My understanding is that there were massive improvements in the copy film made sometime in the late 1970s or early 1980s, but I don't remember the details. I hope you've still got the original negatives; those would produce better prints than the slides, anyhow, since the slides are copies. (At least, assuming you don't want a special "look," such as that produced by Ilfochrome.)
    Good point, I think I have the original negatives stored in another file, I will see if can dig up them up and have them reprinted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    I think that those slides were printed on motion picture colour print stock, the material which runs in projectors in cinemas-not (colour) copy film- so they are more of prints than copies of slides. I have some of those too, dating from around 1972-74, from my granduncle's old slide boxes. These were pictures made during his US visits. Those slides (prints) look faded in the way that old release colour prints from that time are seen now. Mostly magenta mush.

The prints (on colour positive stock) you had made in the 1980s may look better because by then, colour release materials would have improved in terms of stability- or perhaps simply because the prints are younger.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It is true that color release print stock for movies went through a drastic redesign to enhance its "fade resistance" by Kodak, resulting in "Low Fade Stock". IIRC, this occured in the early 1980's. So prints from negatives made before this time will exhibit major fade, prints (slides) made after this change should be much more stable.

PHOTOTONE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin