Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,995   Online: 676

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Does anyone remember the name?

Does anyone remember the name of the company sold (IIRC) 35mm rolls of 5247 film to photographers in which the cost included processing that produced both slide transparencies and color prints? The big selling point of this film was its low price and dual capacity as both a slide and color print film.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dale, and they were located in Seattle, I believe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    Does anyone remember the name of the company sold (IIRC) 35mm rolls of 5247 film to photographers in which the cost included processing that produced both slide transparencies and color prints? The big selling point of this film was its low price and dual capacity as both a slide and color print film.
    "Seattle Film Works" and I think it was actually motion picture film.

Darr
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Seattle Film Works
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RGB Labs in Los Angeles, CA and Seattle Film Works used to process bulk-loaded Kodak and Fuji motion picture film. RBG Labs included positives in the processing cost but charged extra for prints. RGB lost their lease and had to close that part of their facility. I believe that Dale Labs in Florida still does ECN-2 processing but I'm not sure. Rocky Mountain runs an ECN-2 line very, very rarely.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, Dale, Seattle film and some smaller labs here and there (I have one from a place called Red Tag Photo in NY)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    Yep, Dale, Seattle film and some smaller labs here and there (I have one from a place called Red Tag Photo in NY)
    Thanks guys! Red Tag Photo and RGB were the ones I saw being used (about 20 years ago). I'll run a Google on them for more information. It's good to know that a couple of the labs are still standing!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    35mm
    I know of several, some of which have already been mentioned:

• Dale Laboratories in Florida, still in operation and reportedly still processing ECN-2 film.
    • Seattle FilmWorks (in Seattle, Washington, of course), now known as PhotoWorks, no longer processes ECN-2 film, AFAIK. They still return film with every order, but it's rebadged Ferrania C-41 film.
    • Signature Color in Texas, with much the same comments as PhotoWorks. They used to be associated with Skrudland Photo, and I believe the whole operation (and both names) were bought out by one of the big photofinishing companies a while ago.
    • AFAIK, Rocky Mountain Film Laboratory never operated under the business model described in the first post, but as noted above, they do occasionally run an ECN-2 batch.

In the past, I've used all of these except Rocky Mountain Film Laboratory. Dale is probably the best of the lot in terms of quality. Signature/Skrudland used to be pretty decent for a consumer-grade photofinisher, but I had serious problems a couple of years ago when I tried them again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just last night I was sorting 35mm slides from the mid 70s and found 4 or 5 rolls of 5247 that were processed by Seattle Film works, all have faded to point where I would need have them "Photo Shopped" to get decent prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had forgotten about Kodak 5247 until I read your post Changeling1 it was on sale in the U.K. but it must have been at least twenty years ago.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin