Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,290   Online: 763

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

It's like they don't want my money

I don't get it, we have two mini-labs in town here. The only two local options for film processing. And both of their machines (a fuji fp563scal, and a noritsu qfs-v30sm) can process 120 sized film. But for whatever reason they won't, any time I ask they say their machine can't do that. Nevermind trying to get them to cross process anything, you would have thought I'd asked them to drown kittens in it. Are they not trained, can they not even read a manual, or do the managers (one of these is a wal-mart) say that they can only do 135 neg? It's like they don't want my money.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Send the film to Calypso, they will gladly take your money, and they will do a better job, cheaper.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They may not have the proper canisters to load 120 film into that are typically used for roller-transport machines. Regardless, Wal-*art is usually a recipe for disaster unless of course you want scratches and fingerprints on your film. Seriously, the technicians rarely use glove or finger cots, nor do they handle film by the edges. If you bring them 35mm film don't be surprised to have every fourth frame physically cut by a siginificant percentage, in addition to the aforementioned gifts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    First off, they may not have all of the equipment to run it through the film processor. Secondly, gunk builds up on the edges of the film path if they run tons of 35mm but no 120. Some labs will hold 120 until their weekly cleaning ritual is performed. Finally, would you really want an untrained monkey making $7.50 an hour running a minilab handling your precious 120?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by agGNOME
    They may not have the proper canisters to load 120 film into that are typically used for roller-transport machines. Regardless, Wal-*art is usually a recipe for disaster unless of course you want scratches and fingerprints on your film. Seriously, the technicians rarely use glove or finger cots, nor do they handle film by the edges. If you bring them 35mm film don't be surprised to have every fourth frame physically cut by a siginificant percentage, in addition to the aforementioned gifts.
    There's a reason decent photo labs cost two or three times a one hour photo labs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jhavard
    Secondly, gunk builds up on the edges of the film path if they run tons of 35mm but no 120.
    I had no idea that could happen. The only thing I dound so annoying, was this is just a test roll that I want back in an hour.

Maybe I'll just buy a machine and do better processing...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by egdinger
    I had no idea that could happen. The only thing I dound so annoying, was this is just a test roll that I want back in an hour.

I picked up a Konica-Minolta KP32 film processor for $100 on eBay recently. Unfortunately, I would have needed to upgrade the breaker panel at the house to have that, the clothes dryer, air conditioner and the espresso machine (La Marzoco Linea 3AV) plugged in. I tried to get rid of it in the classifieds section, but there were no takers. I ended up scrapping it. Got plenty of pumps out of it, some of which will be used in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awwww, don't get me started on this issue....
    I usually have to wait about a week or more to get my 120 roll developed and prints made... And I consider myself lucky that the local lab doesn't charge me postage for sending it away for processing

I thought of that, too

It's not very practical, though... And the chemistry tends to be expensive...
    Heck, I could get a Fuji printing machine practically for free - from a local lab, which went hybrid (they bought a Fuji Frontier or some equivalent). But the thing is huge, and consumes large quantities of chemistry

Back to original question - I inquired about the 120 format issue with that local lab: they told me that it's not only the film canister (which can be bought cheap), but something about the film transport...
    Well, even if they could develop the film, they couldn't make the prints, since their new digi-wonder print machine doesn't have the scanning module for 120 format. It's not a big deal, just a replacement module which can be replaced in about 10 seconds - it' used to feed the film into the machine for scanning. However, when I proposed to share the cost of purchasing that 120 module, they said "Fine, it's about $4000, plus 22 percent tax. How much are you willing to contribute?"

No wonder they declined the offer to buy it as an optional accessory

Sometimes when I think of myself as an APUG member, I say that I'm actually a member of "Anachronistic Photography Users Group"

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jhavard
    There's a reason decent photo labs cost two or three times a one hour photo labs.
    This is the point I was trying to make. In the end you're not saving money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis P.
    I thought of that, too

It's not very practical, though... And the chemistry tends to be expensive...
    Heck, I could get a Fuji printing machine practically for free - from a local lab, which went hybrid (they bought a Fuji Frontier or some equivalent). But the thing is huge, and consumes large quantities of chemistry

Denis
    See there is a collage in town here that had a fairly strong arts department, but no one other than the minilabs to devolp film for them. And I know they've complained about the quality, so there may be a market. But all the machines that I can find forsale are nowhere near me, and not economical to ship.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin