Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,432   Online: 998

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

feeling stumped by Fuji NPS 160 chart

On a whim I decided to open up the box that contained the canister for Fuji NPS 160 and read the chart... (time on my hands as passenger in car). I was following quite nicely on the exposure guide but after some contemplation could not figure out the circled 1/2 in the chart. What does that mean? In the chart below it shows +1/2 for exposure compensation but it doesn't show a + or - for the one above. Any thoughts? I'm sure I'm going to be completely embarrased by the answer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NPS chart.jpg  
    Wesmore Digital
    www.wesmoredigital.ca

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What you couldn't make the image any smaller? From squinting it looks like F/16.5 at 1/250 with full sun. It's just sunny 16.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyguy
    On a whim I decided to open up the box that contained the canister for Fuji NPS 160 and read the chart... (time on my hands as passenger in car). I was following quite nicely on the exposure guide but after some contemplation could not figure out the circled 1/2 in the chart. What does that mean? In the chart below it shows +1/2 for exposure compensation but it doesn't show a + or - for the one above. Any thoughts? I'm sure I'm going to be completely embarrased by the answer.
    At first, I thought it was a modification of the "sunny 16" rule: "With the shutter speed set to the reciprocal of the ISO film speed, the aperture should be f/16." ... but ... it is going the wrong way. If the shutter could be set at 1/160th second, the aperture would be f/16 ... but most shutters cannot be set at 1/160th. If the shutter was set to 1/125th second, a slightly smaller aperture would be required ... f/16 1/2; f/16.5 - halfway between f/16 and f/22 - seems to be about right. However, the chart specifies 1/250th. Decreasing the exposure time one stop... and that would therefore require a half stop MORE aperture, or f/11.5 at 1/250th.

Sounds like an error from Fuji (errors happen to the best of them) to me.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the first one is "beach" but like I said I can't really read it. Sunny is the second one at F/11.

Shooter
    35mm
    Let me try again with the size... :embarrassed:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NPS-chart.jpg  
    Wesmore Digital
    www.wesmoredigital.ca

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [SIZE=1]Nick is correct. It's just "sunny 16" with the setting a half-stop higher. [/SIZE]
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's just sunny 16 but since cameras don't usually offer 1/160 or 1/320 they adjust the F/stop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And if your camera doesn't have half stop markings I suppose you can't/shouldn't use this film. Many of my camera/shutters only have 1/3 stop markings so I probably should keep using B&W film. ;-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw
    And if your camera doesn't have half stop markings I suppose you can't/shouldn't use this film. Many of my camera/shutters only have 1/3 stop markings so I probably should keep using B&W film. ;-)
    Let's see ... the difference between f/ 16 1/2 and f/16 1/3 - is 1/6th of a stop.

One sixth of a stop??? Do you think that anyone can, or needs to be that accura....

Oh, wait a minute - a "smiley". That explains it... you are yanking our chains!!!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the brilliant replies, folks!

So, if I understand this correctly it is a slight alteration of the sunny 16 rule? So the chart is indicating f16 and a 1/2, f11 and a 1/2, etc.?? I must be dense, I don't think I would have figured that out by looking at that chart. Oh well...
    Wesmore Digital
    www.wesmoredigital.ca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin