Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,418   Online: 1190

Shooter
    35mm

A few questions about colour photography, (I'm just starting).

To anyone who can help

I am starting out in colour photography, and I have a few questions:

1) What is the best thing to use to keep the water regulated. I realize the water must be specifically at 100 degrees F; I'm using a steel developing tank (used for developing one roll of film only). I need something that I can put on the outside of the tank, and that I can hold while I am agitating the film.

2) How do I stop the tank from leaking! It's not such a big deal for B&W, but colour chemicals are a little bit more nasty. I have tried duct tape, but it doesn't work well.

Thank-you to anyone who responds!

Shooter
    35mm
    For temperature control, use a water bath. Fill a dishtub, large Tupperware container, old pot, sink, or whatever with water that's a bit over the target temperature of 100F (say, 104F). Put your bottles of chemistry in the bath for a few minutes and put your tank with loaded film in it (optionally with a water bath at 100F itself). You may need to replace some of the water with hotter water as the water bath cools, but this is most critical before you begin processing. (The temperature is most critical for the developer stage; it's OK if it drops a few degrees during the bleach and fix steps.) When you begin processing, agitate out of the water bath, but return your tank to the water bath for the periods when it just sits. Some people use aquarium heaters to help maintain a constant temperature in their water baths.

As to leaks, unless it's really spewing fluids all over the place, I'd just live with it. Nitrile gloves will keep the chemistry off your hands. If the leaking really bothers you, consider buying a new tank and/or tank cap. I just got a brand-new SS tank and cap as a "bonus" with some paper I bought on eBay, and this new tank's lid is much tighter and seems to leak less than my old SS tank and cap.

Shooter
    35mm
    What are you developing C41 or E6?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    I am using C41.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin