Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,800   Online: 775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I done gone and did now...dang it!

This is my first post (I think) in this section of APUG. I shoot 95% B&W, with some grocery store colour film for those "under the Christmas tree" type photos.
    I shot a roll of Velvia 50.
    I picked it up, and my wife and I looked at the results outside the store, in the mall.
    I went back in.
    I now have their last 30 rolls... (and one roll of the 100F, just to compare).

I hope it keeps ok

Peter.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Store it in zipper freezer bags, in the freezer, and take it out a few hours before you want to use it, and it'll be good several years past the expiration on the box.

I've been avoiding trying slides again. I shot a few rolls of them long ago (so long ago, some were in 28x28 mm 126 format, and I last owned a camera for that film in 1982). These days, one roll with processing would break my film budget for a month or more. If I go there, next thing you know I'll be panhandling on freeway ramps with a sign "will work for film"... :o
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I keep mine as Donald stated and it seems fine. I've got some 120 slide film that is 6 months or more out and it still looks good when developed. I shoot color from time to time, but I have to drive it into town (about 1:30 drive each way) so I find that I don't shoot a lot. There really is nothing, and I mean nothing, like viewing transparencies though. I do a lot of stereo work and a sterograph can't hold a candle to viewing stereo slides. They just look so vibrant!

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know what you mean Peter. I started using Kodaks E100GX and I just fell in love with the stuff. I don't know about Velvia 50, I figure sence it's not being made anymore I won't even try it. It's easier to quit an adiction if you never start in the first place.

D.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi, well this is my first post on Apug! I shoot a lot of velvia and absolutely love the stuff. I store mine in the freezer to in freezer bags.

Sandra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandra, welcome to APUG!

Everyone, thanks for the advice - I feel better knowing that I won't have to speed-shoot the stuff! At my pace, 30 rolls should last me a while! Given what passes for "colour processing" nowdays, and that I do not have the facilities to do my own (yet), I am starting to feel that if need colour, I will turn to slides.
    While I am here, let me ask - what would be a good transparency film portraiture? I am not even looking for "realistic" rendition, frankly, if I could get that golden glowing vintage look, I would be very happy!

Thanks again for the advice and listening to my rants and raves!

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Lofgreen
    I know what you mean Peter. I started using Kodaks E100GX and I just fell in love with the stuff. I don't know about Velvia 50, I figure sence it's not being made anymore I won't even try it. It's easier to quit an adiction if you never start in the first place.

D.
    I've got a roll with your name on it if you want it, either 35mm or 120. Rember, the Velvia pushers always give you your first roll for free.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Sandra, welcome to APUG!

Everyone, thanks for the advice - I feel better knowing that I won't have to speed-shoot the stuff! At my pace, 30 rolls should last me a while! Given what passes for "colour processing" nowdays, and that I do not have the facilities to do my own (yet), I am starting to feel that if need colour, I will turn to slides.
    While I am here, let me ask - what would be a good transparency film portraiture? I am not even looking for "realistic" rendition, frankly, if I could get that golden glowing vintage look, I would be very happy!

Thanks again for the advice and listening to my rants and raves!

Peter.
    I have heard that provia is worth a try for saturated portraiture. I guess Velvia is garish and somewhat frighteining.

I think that some of the Kodak stuff is really made for that purpose. Check out Ektachrome Plus (EPP). It is supposed to be just the thing. If you want a really saturated look, it might not be enough, I am not really sure about that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestions, I think this B&W die-hard may be...uhm...branching out... my poor wallet...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, Peter, Velvia 50 is a wonderful tranny film for most purposes if you want highly contrast saturated pure, " in your face", colours, great for many type of work, but for portraits ( the majority of my work ) I prefer Fuji Astia F, because portraiture is what it was devised for , it produces pleasing and natural looking skin tones, and a gentle colour palate, combined with a lower level of contrast, try a roll , and compare them I think you'll see what I mean.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin