Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,423   Online: 789

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What am I doing wrong....

Ok so I get this Beseler CS-6 developing kit from a local photo store, 1litre kit, has 4 steps (1st Dev, Color Dev, Bleach-Fix, Stabalizer). Now I know temperature is critically important in least the first two steps. I follow the instructions to the dot as per the manual, and the Provia 100F roll didnt come out right, so I figured maybe I just didnt do it right, so did the same with a Velvia 50 roll even more attention to detail and so on, same exact results. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. These are the results off one of the rolls as I scaned it in as a color positive without correction ( an Auto-Level version just after the uncorrected if it helps, kinda doubt but who knows )

As an experiment, I shot up an old roll of ektachrome 50T, developed that all the same, except instead of 6:30 for the first dev, and 4:00 for the color dev, I did about 10:00 and 6:30. The results being a darker purple in the usually-black portion of the strip. And the subjects of the shots being a bit more discernable, but still a monochromatic color cast ( just of purple instead of amber now )
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't see mention of a reversal step???? your images look like negative film?

R.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    These look like color negatives, not transparencies. Perhaps mrcallow will see this and be able to help. I haven't developed my own stuff in 15 years or so, but I've never seen results like this from home processing E6.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The kit was Beseler CS-6 Kit, "For all E-6 compatible color slide films" , inside talks about how it is "Process your own E-6 color slides with Beseler's easy-to-use four-step process. Film can be pushed, pulled, or normally processed in small inversion tanks or automatic processors."

And mentions that "Reversal Agent is incorporated in the color developer, which eliminates the Reversal step or re-exposure requirement".
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if the chemistry has gone bad? does it have a date on the box? because if these are straight positive scans, they look like color negative film, as a quick test, you might tray scanning them as a negative and see what the results are, if they look closer to what they should be in the scan, then for some reason the kit is not working correctly in the reversal process.

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hrm no kidding... just inverted and de-saturated that above.... Think my color developer step might be shot?
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeppers, sure looks like something is wrong in the color developer step with the reversal process...

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    here the frame when scaned as a color negative.

-Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    as for date on box, no date on the box or contents, just this price sticker on the top, and the UPC on the bottom.

Acording to their website.

RETURN/EXCHANGE POLICY

Returns will not be accepted for film, paper, chemistry and software. This policy insures that you will always receive fresh, temperature controlled materials. Defective film, paper, chemistry and software are subject to their respective manufacturer's policies.
    But... what if they sold me non-fresh bad chemistry?
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well if their pricing policies are the same as all the stores I worked in, the 030205 on the top of the price tag indicates they received the product in stock over a year ago, which would lead me to believe that the kit is out of date and possibly has gone bad, E-6 chemistry can be very sensitive to storage conditions, again, my guess based on what you have posted and your images, looks like something is going wrong in the color developer stage which is not working correctly for color or reversal. In looking at the frame you scanned as a negative, you can see the reversal did not work, the lines on the track are white and in your positive scans they are black..

R.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin