Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,108   Online: 935

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr
    I see Kodachrome as being "vintage" in that it does not have the vivid saturation that many of the newer films have. Let's face it, people (most of them lately, anyway) want colors to pop. Saturated films sell.

Maybe you could say that Kodachrome shows colors the way they are, as opposed to the way some want them to be.
    Well I have to disagree, if you know how to use the film, it does pop, I feel sorry for the younger photographers comming into the business, they will never understand what Kodachrome is, but if you knew how it worked, you could get it to pop, just as much as the super saturated films of today.

R.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxi331
    Well I have to disagree, if you know how to use the film, it does pop, I feel sorry for the younger photographers comming into the business, they will never understand what Kodachrome is, but if you knew how it worked, you could get it to pop, just as much as the super saturated films of today.

R.
    Roxi,

I just think of different slide films as having different color palettes which can be manipulated with exposure, filtration, and light.

As for 25 speed film I miss K25 and Ektar 25.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Roxi,

I just think of different slide films as having different color palettes which can be manipulated with exposure, filtration, and light.

As for 25 speed film I miss K25 and Ektar 25.
    Don, I agree,

I just look at the state of the film industry and the current generation is the "Velvia" generation...

K25 was an awesome film and could do alot of things, I miss it..

R.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by digiconvert
    K64....the problems in getting it developed and....
    Problems getting it developed? What problems? I drop mine at the local Long's drug store same as any other 35mm color film. It takes two weeks and costs just under $6.00...no problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Problems getting it developed? What problems? I drop mine at the local Long's drug store same as any other 35mm color film. It takes two weeks and costs just under $6.00...no problem.
    No problem if you not working, but I tell ya, two weeks is a long time when you need it yesterday..

R.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I've sent film to Dwayne's it's usually taken about a week using Priority Mail. They offer rush service, and you can FedEx both ways, if you've got a client willing to pay for it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like K64 muted palette, but I love Kodachrome 200. Bold colors and the big grain gives a really sharp impression. Too bad noone stocks K200 here in Norway anymore
    Amund

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too greatly miss Kodachrome 25, but have never found 64 and 200 worth the fuss it now takes to get it processed. I have a freezer full of Velvia 50 which should keep me going for a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Amund
    I like K64 muted palette, but I love Kodachrome 200. Bold colors and the big grain gives a really sharp impression. Too bad noone stocks K200 here in Norway anymore
    You might be able to get Kodachrome from 7dayshop.com
    £6 per roll for 200 speed or £5.79 for 64.

As a general question, when did Kodachrome stop being produced in 120 and/or 4x5 sizes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    120 was discontinued in the (early?) 80s, while sheet film sizes were discontinued quite some time before that. I don't ever recall Kodachrome sheet film being available during my adult photo "career", which began in the mid-70s.

I've posted my thoughts elsewhere, so let's just say I still miss K-II, as well as K25, of course. I've never tried K200, but have a bunch of K64 and will mourn the day the plug is pulled on Kodachrome.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin