Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,686   Online: 895

Shooter
    35mm

How to get this effect?

I was looking around at magnum again. Well I found this is quite interesting (to me). What kind film is that?
    http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/Fr...R8RRQQX&DT=ALB

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format

how to get this effect?

I'm guessing but my hunch is that it's either a slow slide film or a reverse process (ie: E6 developed as C41) ...... they are nice colours, reminds me of the old polaroid colours. It's difficult to tell a lot when all you can do is look on a computer screen. - david.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's one of Alex Webb's signature techniques. Slightly underexposing Kodachrome. This has the effect of exaggerating and saturating the colors and darkening shadow areas, thus further exaggerating the colors. I would imagine that the underexposure can also shift certain colors in the right situation.

-Mark
    -- If film is dead, then how come I can't buy a Leica for 20 bucks? --

Mark Greenberg
    Editorial & Commercial Photographer
    www.markgreenbergphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My guess is that it is slide film under exposed and shot under different light sources.

The boat crossing one tells you it's dusk, hence the background is a cold blue like colour from the cold blue sky. The light lighting up the couple is more than likely tungsten, which the film sees as reddish.

The young boy with the fairy floss is probably lit with fluorescent light, the film sees that as green light, the background part which is a funny warm colour could possibly be sodium vapour type lighting.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While my guess would be along the lines of those already posted, there are some obvious halos visible in the swinging boy shot so you know there's been some manipulation. Since we don't know how much, I'd say all bets are off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello dxphoto,

I would tend to agree with the underexposed transparency film, though it is tough to tell when viewing JPEGs on the internet. Since I have seen some published images from Alex Webb, I do think Magnum have done a good job represecting his images on their website, though you should click on the higer resolution link below each image to get a better view.

One thing that can help is figuring out the time of day. If you see long shadows in the images, then it would need to be early or late in the day. A lack of shadows can mean closer to noon or midday. Shooting at midday can also create some higher contrast results with some transparency films. The comments other made about lights give other clues, since street lights can alter the results on film, even though you would not normally notice those with your eyes.

Another clue is that the images are not super saturated, so it would be less likely he used something like Fuji Velvia or Kodak E100VS. While Kodachrome is one option, if you don't like the expense nor slower turnaround time (in some parts of the world), then try something like Fuji Astia 100F or Kodak E100G to start.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys. I did underexposure color negative for 1/3 to 2/3 stops before. It did give me kind unrealistic feeling. Have never tried this on slides as I have aways been told how accurated it should be on exposure with slides. Will try it next time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin