Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,525   Online: 871

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    why not scan the negs? scanning the prints whether they be digital or analoge will result in an unnescisary generation loss.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Sorry Luke, but I beg to differ. Scanned images printed on a traditional photographic paper like Fuji Crystal Archive or Ilfochrome paper are indistinguishable from those printed under an enlarger on the same paper. It all depends upon the quality of the scan. I do it, and I know many other color landscape photographers who do it as well.
    Hear hear. Nothing wrong with the digital labs per se, but just like in the analog world you have to find someone that knows what they are doing and cares about their product. We use a Noritsu system here and the print quality consistency has gone way up. In fact in the hands of an operator that knows what they are doing, they have much more control than they did with a traditional minilab machine. The trick, as always, is finding someone that knows what they are doing...

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm still runing an analog lab, and I did run a digital lab for three years. When I went back to an analog lab after digital I was amazed at how good the analog prints looked. They do have a different look. A good optical print from a good negative is hard to beat, I reckon.
    Film's not dead, it's just got a negative image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I noticed with all the mini labs around here, they damn near boil the emulsion off to get it processed fast, then apply these weird LUTs (look up tables) to the scanned negative image that tries its best to take the log curve and flatten it out; decompressed shadows and highlights, squished and squashed into a linear output that looks very, very weird on the print.

Shooter
    35mm
    the LUT on a frontier is kind of like setting up a calibration film chanel. Its for making it easier to have the filtration for each batch of paper propperly calibrated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by poorusher
    I am at the end of my tether with modern labs.

Everyone has gone over to digital printing, and I find they are far inferior to old analogue prints.

I am working with a colleague soon who's publisher wants to scan in prints, scanning digital prints is horrid, noisy, blech.

So does anyone know of a lab still using traditional printing without excessive costs. I don't mind posting films to them, if they are UK based

I used to run with Jessops then Snappy Snaps but they've all switched to digital.

I hope someone can help me out here.

Regards
    Luke
    To HELP answer your question:

It sounds like you are looking for lab that uses a non-digital machine printer which outputs optical prints. The journey may be difficult as the business trend has moved to scan>print machines. Noritsu used to produce very fine optical machines but has discontinue the line. I would suggest to do research and find the authorized Noritsu UK web site and get the contact information for Noritsu Resale Department. Call them up and ask them for contact information of customers that have the older optical machines. They are out there, many individuals, small business photographers and labs have pick these up for great value. I wish I can remember the model numbers for optical machines; I used to have to work on them here and there.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Shane
    www.shaneknight.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacc7
    Hear hear. Nothing wrong with the digital labs per se, but just like in the analog world you have to find someone that knows what they are doing and cares about their product. We use a Noritsu system here and the print quality consistency has gone way up. In fact in the hands of an operator that knows what they are doing, they have much more control than they did with a traditional minilab machine. The trick, as always, is finding someone that knows what they are doing...

Isaac
    True. There is a wide variety of digital labs out there, some like my local Ritz store, that just puts out the prints as fast as they can. Then there are those labs who print on high end laser/LED printers and cater to professionals.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Yes, that probably is the case. I'm used to making much bigger prints than that.
    bigger than 4 x 6 ? oh....they mean inches and you mean feet!

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem with digital prints is on the small size print like 4x6 and 5x7. At 8x10 and up if you have a good scan then digital print can be the same if not even better than optical print. The problem with small size print is that the printer resolution is only about 300ppi (some noritsu machine did do 400ppi) but that is signifcantly lower than what an optical print can achieve at 4x6 size. At larger size, the film resolution is becoming the limitation.

Shooter
    35mm
    I may be the only one who'll say this....BUT generally i prefer the digital prints availible to me as opposed to analoge. I work at a frontier lab, and did work at an SFA lab, the frontier when set up properly IE sharpness at the "low 2" setting, and "retouching" set to "lower" provides me with much more consistant results than I could ever achieve on the SFA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin