Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,030   Online: 966

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Require analogue printing, UK

I am at the end of my tether with modern labs.

Everyone has gone over to digital printing, and I find they are far inferior to old analogue prints.

I am working with a colleague soon who's publisher wants to scan in prints, scanning digital prints is horrid, noisy, blech.

So does anyone know of a lab still using traditional printing without excessive costs. I don't mind posting films to them, if they are UK based

I used to run with Jessops then Snappy Snaps but they've all switched to digital.

I hope someone can help me out here.

Regards
    Luke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not print yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by poorusher
    I am at the end of my tether with modern labs.

Everyone has gone over to digital printing, and I find they are far inferior to old analogue prints.

I am working with a colleague soon who's publisher wants to scan in prints, scanning digital prints is horrid, noisy, blech.

So does anyone know of a lab still using traditional printing without excessive costs. I don't mind posting films to them, if they are UK based

I used to run with Jessops then Snappy Snaps but they've all switched to digital.

I hope someone can help me out here.

Regards
    Luke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That raises an interesting idea.
    Why not organise here in APUG a section where profficient printers can offer their services to people around the world? They don't have to have a lab, just a darkroom and be able and willing to make prints of others.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to do that, as I was at college and had access to a darkroom, but I don't anymore and even if I did it would be a time issue.

The labs used to offer this (with standard 6x4 prints and processing), I just can't convey how much I despise disgital prints.

What's more I bet it costs the lab less to print digitally but they still charge the same amount.

Shooter
    35mm
    arigram

I suspect that would be individual hand prints which could get quite expensive, I am just after a lab that still prints analogue, 6x4 via a machine. But using chemicals and so on.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by poorusher

Sorry Luke, but I beg to differ. Scanned images printed on a traditional photographic paper like Fuji Crystal Archive or Ilfochrome paper are indistinguishable from those printed under an enlarger on the same paper. It all depends upon the quality of the scan. I do it, and I know many other color landscape photographers who do it as well.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure if this is what you're after but i have used http://www.transpacolor.com/ for transparencies and they were OK, then again I'm fairly inexperienced photographer.

Cheers CJB
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    35mm
    Poorusher. Based on your reply to arigram I think First Light Photographic in Daventry, Northants would fit your bill. They process film then do RA4s by laser, using Fuji Crystal Archive. Their charge for 6x4 is very reasonable. Bigger prints then get disproportionally expensive, in my opinion but that probably because their throughput depends on sticking to the popular size of 6 x4. I can't say they will do mail order. I think most if not all their business is personal callers but you could check this out by a call.

I was told by the assistant that they still have an analogue optical enlarger as well. I believe the owner's wife prefers prints from this when she does weddings.

The number is: 01327 702866

My wife uses them not me primarily for speed and but also quality but that's another story.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Sorry Luke, but I beg to differ. Scanned images printed on a traditional photographic paper like Fuji Crystal Archive or Ilfochrome paper are indistinguishable from those printed under an enlarger on the same paper. It all depends upon the quality of the scan. I do it, and I know many other color landscape photographers who do it as well.
    I suspect he's just comparing the 4x6 prints you get with C-41 processing (such as from a fuji frontier), I find those tend to be pretty abyssmal. Even at the local pro lab I see horrible noise in my prints a lot of the times. Usually more in flatter contrast scenes like something shot just as the sun is going down and you have nice blue shadows that aren't very deep. I've seen some shots in mist that looked absolutely horrible when they came back from the lab but when the person printed them they looked fine.

Now in terms of high quality scans and output on a quality digital enlarger, then they are stunning. I've even had good results from a frontier as long as it was from a quality scan.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal
    I suspect he's just comparing the 4x6 prints you get with C-41 processing (such as from a fuji frontier), I find those tend to be pretty abyssmal. Even at the local pro lab I see horrible noise in my prints a lot of the times. Usually more in flatter contrast scenes like something shot just as the sun is going down and you have nice blue shadows that aren't very deep. I've seen some shots in mist that looked absolutely horrible when they came back from the lab but when the person printed them they looked fine.
    Yes, that probably is the case. I'm used to making much bigger prints than that.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin