Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,845   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

How good is Fuji's 1600 color film?

Hmm ... I posted this last night, but it's not here ...

So, has anyone used Fujicolor 1600? If so, how are the results? I'm going to be doing some indoor low-light stuff.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Be aware that indoor low-light stuff most of the time means tungsten light, and the color temperature related to it. Unless you shoot with a blue filter (e.g. KB12) to correct for color temperature, you must be careful about your exposure, or you may underexpose the blue sensitive layer of the film. This is of course true with all color print film.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found the 1600 to be pretty good, if used for what it is designed for, mainly low light available light work, it does show quite a bit of grain, but I have always felt the grain adds to the mood in these types of situations, it is a good film, I like it for certain things, as Petzi said, it will need to be filtered if inside under tungsten..

Have fun.

Dave

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've used this mostly for outdoor night scenes and had very good results, you know, Las Vegas night scenes, urban settings at night, etc.

I've even had fairly good results using it indoors under tungsten. The Fuji (400-800-1600) seem to tolerate this quite well, as opposed to the Agfa which definitely does not like the lack of blue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dmr, how good does it look under tungsten, is there a noticeable tint to it?

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had a lot of success with it at evening airshows. Never tried to print larger than 10 x 8 but at that size the grain was certainly acceptable for the subject matter.

pentaxuser

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My post last night seems to be gone, so here are two examples from 2004.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N-O-Trolley.jpg   N-O-Church.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you asking about Superia 1600 or Natura 1600?

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Superia

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    Dmr, how good does it look under tungsten, is there a noticeable tint to it?
    I tried to find a good example of this that I know was 1600 under only tungsten, but I don't see any that I have handy. I hope these examples will answer for you.

Yes, if you don't do any correction on it, it will show a warm tint. However, when I scan it, some simple level adjustments make it look quite normal (although I prefer indoor incandescent shots to have a bit of a warm tone to them).

Anyway, the one on the left below was taken after sunset, and the outside light was only twilight and afterglow plus some street lights. I know it looks brighter than that, but that's the way it was. The inside of the shop is obviously incandescent.

The second one below is a crop of the window area with simple level adjustments. The inside of the shop now looks quite normal to me on my monitor. I know this is not very accurate, but ...

This was just boosting the blue a bit with the high end slider and tweaking the red center slider to balance it out.

I hope this helps, and sorry I don't have any better examples close at hand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1600test1.jpg   1600test2.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin