Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,207   Online: 825

Shooter
    Multi Format

Equivalent film to Fuji 160s?

Argh; I'm taking some photos next Saturday (as I've mentioned), and I was going to use Fujicolor 160s. B&H and Adorama are out of stock, and Freestyle doesn't tell me if it's in stock or not, and their shipping says that it'll take 5 days, which is cutting it too close.

Is there an equivalent color film to 160s that is available at B&H? They have 160c, but it's labeled as high contrast, so I'm not sure ...

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    You could use the Fujicolor Pro 400H. No other film is more similar to Pro 160S. They can even be printed with the same settings.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, thnx, freestyle has that in stock, so that'll work, hopefully.

Is the grain / color noticeably different in 5x7s and 8x10s?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    The color is practically the same, the grain is minimally worse with the 400 of course. Are you going to shoot 35mm film? I think you are going to get great results with both films. I use the 400 for all hand held photography now because I find that the extra speed is useful and results in sharper images. The 160 I only use with the tripod.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about NPS 160??? Shouldn't that be more or less Identical - ? There's a TON on ebay. Really CHEAP, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See if they have Kodak Portra 160 NC this is also an excellent film for social/ portrait/ wedding shots giving soft contrast and good skin tones.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 07-17-2006 at 06:34 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Error
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    B&H doesn't have 400H instock either.

Can I get a second reccomendation for the Portra NC?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second Portra NC. I compared 160S with Portra 160NC in 35mm, and the thing that kept me away from the Fuji was the sickly green tones and overall pastel colors. The Kodak film has much more "natural" colors, and similar fine grain/contrast. I'd go with the Kodak any day with eyes closed.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ok, thanks all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    B&H doesn't have 400H instock either.

Can I get a second reccomendation for the Portra NC?
    I regularly use Fuji NPS 160, now have tried Fuji Pro 160 S (haven't seen the result so far) - I shoot mainly landscapes in medium format (6×7cm). I've definitelly been dissatisfaied with Kodak Portra 160 VC for landscapes - difficult to correct color cast, not as good colors. So I have no experience with Kodak Portra 160 NC, but judging form VC, I'd not recommend it. Go for the NPS 160 instead...

Jiri

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin