Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,523   Online: 876

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ceased production of Agfa RSX II 50, replacement film for 120 type?

I still have 10 rolls in stock (I should maybe stock more), but sooner or later, maybe in the next 12 months, I have to find a suitable replacement.

In other words: if you have used/are still using Agfa RSX II films, what will be your future choice, and why?

Please don't tell me that you are using Fuji Velvia 50 and that must be a perfect replacement, as most (colour blind?) photo dealers are telling me (maybe just because ISO 50 is written on the box). Velvia is not a replacement for me because it has extreme, unnatural colour saturation and skin rendering.

I guess Kodak and Fuji are the only possible candidates for 120 film type.
    There is nothing like Scala? There are various alternatives!
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum228/...cala-200x.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Hans, I would recomend you try try a roll of Fuji Astia 100 F it has a much less saturated colour rendition and softer contrast than velvia, and produces lovely natural skin tones , I shoot mainly portraits and I'm constantly amazed at the quality of the results this film produces.
    Velvia is great for landscape work, and applications that can utilize It's high colour purity, saturation and contrast, but it was never intended for portraiture.
    Ben

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I quite like Kodak E100G and E100GX myself. Or EPP. I never cared much for the colour rendition of Fuji slide films.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    Hi Hans, I would recomend you try try a roll of Fuji Astia 100 F it has a much less saturated colour rendition and softer contrast than velvia, and produces lovely natural skin tones , I shoot mainly portraits and I'm constantly amazed at the quality of the results this film produces.
    Velvia is great for landscape work, and applications that can utilize It's high colour purity, saturation and contrast, but it was never intended for portraiture.
    I have seen Astia 100 F slides once, and I must admit I found the colour rendition remarkable. Remarkable in a sense that this film renders differently from what I am used from RSX II and the impression is not unpleasant. But I have the feeling that this film renders everything into pastel. I think this film enriches transparency photography because I have not seen slides like that before.

On the other hand I am looking for a film with more realistic colours. I am carrying 2 120 film magazines already for b/w and colour work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I quite like Kodak E100G and E100GX myself. Or EPP. I never cared much for the colour rendition of Fuji slide films.
    What is EPP?

I have seen slides from E100G and found them quite good. This is a candidate. Do you have scans from E100G and E100GX? I would be interested to see how much warmer the GX is over G. Is the G comparable to the yellow warm tones of Kodachrome films?

BTW, I travel to Norway almost on a yearly basis, I could interpret colour rendition of norwegian landscape shots.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Velvia 50 is no longer made.

You could also try Velvia 100, 100F (less saturation than the 100). Provia 100F is also an excellent choice - it doesn't have the saturation of Velvia, but has great color rendition and is fantastically sharp.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans Borjes
    What is EPP?

I have seen slides from E100G and found them quite good. This is a candidate. Do you have scans from E100G and E100GX? I would be interested to see how much warmer the GX is over G. Is the G comparable to the yellow warm tones of Kodachrome films?

BTW, I travel to Norway almost on a yearly basis, I could interpret colour rendition of norwegian landscape shots.
    EPP is Ektachrome 100 Plus.

I looked through the scans I have of E100G and E100GX, but they're a bit "compromised" in that some of the shots (with both films) were shot with two APO-Lanthars with visible yellowing. I tend to use those lenses (I only have one of them now, the 150mm) when the light seems a little too cool for my taste.

At least this one was shot on EPN (Ektachrome 100) with a reasonably colour-neutral lens (Angulon 165mm f:6.8, on 13x18cm film). If I'd had a holder loaded with EPP, I would have used that.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Provia 100F is well worth trying. It is a little different from RSX II but it is a gorgeous film.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Replacement Film

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    I used Agfa slide films for more than twenty years Hans Agfa CT18, and 50S and L Pro and know what you mean about the colour rendition of the film , but I don't think anyone makes a film that's anything like it these days, films generally are more saturated these days because that's what the market requires, some that produce less " Mickey Mouse" colours are Kodak Ektachrome 100, Fuji Provia, Fuji Astia F , try shooting a roll of each and see which you prefer, colour is very subjective and we all have our own ideas of what is natural colour.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some time ago I shot a test roll with Ektachrome 100. Is this one identical to E100G?

Provia 100 F is something I have to try, maybe Astia 100 F as well. The test results I have seen on Fuji recently were on 135 film, I probably need to see it on 120 as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin