Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,555   Online: 1168

Shooter
    Multi Format

Most like 160NC - 160VC or Fuji 160S ?

I'm shooting 4x5, mainly outdoor landscapes in a variety of light.
    I've shot Kodak 160NC and Fuji 160S, and prefer 160NC for its general color rendering, but I am only going to be using Quickload or/and Readyload film packets in the future, and 160NC is not offered in packets (and I don't want to shoot tungsten film and have to use a filter for regular daylight shots). So, my choice is between Fuji 160S or Kodak 160VC. I own the quickload holder, and while I could buy a readyload holder and 160VC film to do comparison tests, it would be a bit expensive, and I thought I would try posting this question: What is 'closer' to 160NC - Fuji 160S or Kodak 160VC?

I'm aware that the grain of VC is larger than NC although I'm not sure how much larger and what the impact on subtle smoothness there would be in prints around 20x24 size, and the grain of 160S is supposed to be less than NC, and that VC may be higher contrast than NC (or is it higher saturation, or both ?). I think I tried VC some years ago in contrasty light and didn't like it (harsh results compared to NC), but that memory is vague. Anyway, in general color rendering and contrast characteristics, for those of you who have shot all three films, what is your take on which is most like 160NC ?

A secondary question is, would the larger grain of 160VC make a difference in subtle appreciation of tonalities (i.e. nose to the print) on 20x24" enlargements?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you care about color balance or color saturation? The equivalent product of 160NC for Fuji is 160S, in terms of saturation, but the colors are different. Fuji is more pastel, greens and blues are very different from Kodak.

You probably have a 35mm or an MF camera, so do yourself a favor and buy a roll, shoot, and observe.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv
    Do you care about color balance or color saturation? The equivalent product of 160NC for Fuji is 160S, in terms of saturation, but the colors are different. Fuji is more pastel, greens and blues are very different from Kodak.

You probably have a 35mm or an MF camera, so do yourself a favor and buy a roll, shoot, and observe.
    I care about both saturation and balance. The cost of buying a readyload holder and box of 160VC would be less costly than buying a decent 35mm or medium format camera, so I was looking for opinions from those people who have shot all three films :-)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin