Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,903   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Slide film on a budget

I cant afford the 12 dollars a roll for pro velvia. i am now buying sensia, non-pro film(8 dollars which is quite reaonable, considering a roll of tri-x is 6 dollars CND where i buy my films) so for you canadians, in your local store(not B and H) what is the cheapest slide film?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    I cant afford the 12 dollars a roll for pro velvia. i am now buying sensia, non-pro film(8 dollars which is quite reaonable, considering a roll of tri-x is 6 dollars CND where i buy my films) so for you canadians, in your local store(not B and H) what is the cheapest slide film?
    You get what you pay for.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    is sensia ok though? what is the saturation compared to the great velvia?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    is sensia ok though? what is the saturation compared to the great velvia?
    I personally cannot comment, but I can state that cheap and inexpensive are two different things. You have to be careful of what you buy. You can get something that you don't want.

I would say that EK or Fuji products are quite good, but outside of that for color products you are taking a gamble.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    On the data sheet, it says: minumal color bias: sharply reducing the need for color filters. does that mean the photos i take at sunset will be less golden?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    I personally cannot comment, but I can state that cheap and inexpensive are two different things. You have to be careful of what you buy. You can get something that you don't want.

I would say that EK or Fuji products are quite good, but outside of that for color products you are taking a gamble.

PE
    Sensia is a Fuji consumer slide film. I think it is just fine, althought I generally shoot Velvia. I am sure that the quality is just fine and it is a good choice for someone on a budget who would rather shoot almost twice as much for the same amount of money.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you ever considered buying expired film off eBay? The only colour shooting I do is with slide and probably 80% of what I use or have used is expired and bought off eBay. So far 100% success. I've even used film that expired back in 1996 a couple months ago and no problems. As long as it's been kept refridgerated/frozen, you should be fine. Downside is that expired film is usually sold in bulk loads (ie: 20, 30, maybe 40 rolls), but even then it sometimes works out to be as cheap as $2-4 a roll even after shipping.

Just something to consider.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sensia is a good film.

Why not order from B&H? You can get 20 rolls of Velvia shipped overnight for about $125 Canadian. That's $6.25 a roll. It's a bit more per roll if you buy a smaller quantity but it will still be cheaper.

As for black and white (since you mentioned it), get a used bulk film loader for $20, some film cartridges and a spool of whatever film you like. You can get bulk film for $40 for 100' and that will make you 19 rolls of 36.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if it's still available, but Konica used to make a 35mm slide film, CR-100 or similar, which I used and liked. Fuji Sensia isn't bad either, but I remember paying three bucks per roll, and the results were consistent.
    It is true, however, that you get what you pay for. Kodak Elite Chrome is another good consumer film, but maybe not as neutral in its colors as the Sensia or the Konica.

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you might also try hunt photo.
    they have short date chrome film
    and their prices are good ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin