Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,768   Posts: 1,516,490   Online: 863

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodachrome Storage

I have a chance to get 400 rolls of 64, that are frozen, batched 9/2005 for a great price. This will bring my total for this project up to around 700 rolls.

While I really want to keep the 25 speed frozen, how would refrigeration of the 400 rolls of 64 be if the film is dated as such?

I plan on shooting all of it within the next 3 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Though keeping the film in the refrigerator may be OK, freezing it would be much better to maintain the film and slow down the degradation of the film.

One of the biggest concerns for film storage though not frequently mentioned is Gamma Rays. Gamma Rays will pass through basically anything (short of I forgot how many feet of concrete, lead, Zirconium, etc.). The longer the film storage, the greater the possibility of these rays passing through the film.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Images
    Good Evening, PKM,

Go for it if you have the space. I don't know about the availability or cost of Kodachrome processing in the future, but if the price of the film is a good deal, I wouldn't worry at all about film so recently out-dated, especially since it's been frozen. (Remember that Kodachrome, unlike E-6 films, has no color in it; color is supplied when it is processed.)If you don't have enough space, let me know; I'll be glad to relieve you of the burden of too much film!

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, the freezer I am using is lined with airport X-ray film bags. They are lead so I know it will help a bit.

As for the film, I wonder if I should not just get all 670 from him, he wants $1.00 a roll......

As for the processing, I am using grant money to reserve the chemistry ahead of time from Dwaynes in KS. That is thousands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25
    Actually, the freezer I am using is lined with airport X-ray film bags. They are lead so I know it will help a bit.

Snip
    Gamma Rays will go right through the lead lined X-Ray film bags like the lead isn't there. The film or prints may need some retouching (perhaps through Photoshop) if Gamma Rays go through the film.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't, please tell me where, I would buy it, even if I had to buy another freezer to store it in, a buck a roll is a heck of a buy on this particular film and if you have a grant to ensure you can get it processed, I don't see where there is a hard choice, you can pick a freezer up at home depot that will hold this much film for $200 or less, I just picked a used 25 cubic foot upright up the other day to increase storage capacity, it was used, but I only paid $50 for it from a friend of mine...

Dave

PS, Lead is not going to stop Gamma rays from getting to the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm....Not what I read:

"Protection from gamma rays can be obtained using a sheet of iron that is a 1/2 inch thick. This kind of shielding will block only 50% of 1 million electron volts of gamma rays. We can also protect ourselves from gamma rays with 4 inches of water. Lead provides the most protection from gamma rays. A 1/4 of an inch lead absorbs all the gamma ray exposure."

http://www.stmary.ws/physics/gamm_1.htm

They are 24 exposure rolls, but that is still a really good price.

As this project might be done in 3 years or less, depending on when Kodak discontiues KR, I might be OK anyway......?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My photo store doesnt store kodacrome in the fridge(must be why its cheaper than velvia.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you keep it frozen it should be fine. Kodachrome that is warm stored or a fair bit past its expiry date (say 5 years) goes magenta and quite a noticable loss of D Max. You won't be able to get blacks anymore. If it's been frozen and has an 05 date you should be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    670 more rolls...I should just take the plunge, I can always sell some off to APUG members.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin