Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,116   Online: 951

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

"Store Brand" color film encyclopaedia

Since I haven't been able to find a good online list of this information, I thought it would be a good idea to make a list of as many store brand films (both American and elsewhere) and "off name" brands and basically list them under the company that makes their film (Kodak, Agfa, Konica etc.)

What prompted this was today I went to my local price chopper to find 200 speed film at $7.69 but one get two free. So basically with tax I got 12 rolls of film at $8. It said made in Japan and upon opening it, it had all the tell tale signs of being Konica Minolta.

So I'm asking for help here, folks. If there are store brands you know are a certain brand of film with a different name, then please share the info. Us budget conscious 35mm shooters will appreciate it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here are ones that come to mind:

• Brook's Pharmacy: Konica-Minolta the last time I tried it (~1 year ago)
    • CVS: Konica-Minolta the last I tried it (~1 year ago), but I've seen some claims it's now Fuji.
    • Freestyle: Ferrania (plus various others for B&W)
    • Shaw's Market: Konica-Minolta the last I tried it (~2 years ago)
    • Stop & Shop Supermarket: Ferrania
    • Walgreen's: Formerly Agfa, but now reportedly Fuji

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We have the Dollar Store chain in eastern Canada. They sell Likon colour film (200 iso) for,you guessed it, $1.00.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Battra, it would help if you tell us where you are, as different films are sold into different markets. Most of the ones here in Australia seem to be made in Japan, and I always assumed they were Fuji, but I guess some of them could also be Konica.

Shooter
    35mm
    Eckerd: Fuji
    Brooks: used to be konica, will probably become fuji due to their aquiring eckerd.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Too much depends on WHEN you buy it. Many own-brand films are changed surprisingly often, according to who is doing the best offer at the moment. Of course with the decreasing number of manufacturers it becomes easier and easier to guess, but (for example) I think that Mitsubishi does some own-brand, so 'Made in Japan' doesn't necessarily mean 'Fuji' or 'Konica Minolta'.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak will never market film under any brand name other than its own. It's against company policy. Agfa and Konica-Minolta are out of the film business. I suspect that Ferrania is also. So there are three maybe four manufacturers that can be removed from any list.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    Kodak will never market film under any brand name other than its own. It's against company policy. Agfa and Konica-Minolta are out of the film business. I suspect that Ferrania is also. So there are three maybe four manufacturers that can be removed from any list.
    Dear Gerald,

I am almost sure that your remarks concerning Kodak are no longer true. My memory is not what it was (whose is?) but both my wife Frances Schultz and I recall that this policy was reversed within the last very few years.

Also, as far as I am aware, Ferrania is alive if not well: letting a major employer go bust in that part of the country would be too risky for any Italian government, no matter how corrupt or otherwise.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    President's Choice (Superstore / Loblaw's / Extra Foods in Canada) has been Fuji for some time, several years at least.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    Walgreen's: Formerly Agfa, but now reportedly Fuji
    I can vouch for the new (labeled Japan) Wagreeens being Fuji. I have scans of the negative strips that leave no doubt. They still have some Agfa in the pipeline, and they now have a special on the remaining Agfa 200 for $1us.

I'll make an addition:

Kroger: Ferrania.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin