Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,270   Posts: 1,534,460   Online: 1039

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Funny, Jim: I find the Jobo spools easier to load than Paterson. Personal choice...

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim
    You can get larger tanks that will take as many as 8 rolls of 35mm. All plastic tanks will leak a tiny bit but the leakage I get with Paterson is fine.

For E6 I use a Jobo processor and tank. The processor is all manual but the Jobo tanks fit magnetically on the spindle which is convenient. I don't like the Jobo reels as much - they are harder to load, although not bad once you get used to them.

Big advantage to the Jobos is you don't have to buy a whole tank to go big. Just get the extension. My Jobos don't leak. If they did they would short out the motorbase I spin them on.

The Jobo reels take a change of mindset if you've used the Patersons for a long time. You're so used to the Paterson reels that your hands want to turn the Jobo reels into Patersons.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am sold on the Jobo tanks and processor. Mine you I also have Durst tanks which I used to use for B&W and they didn't leak either. I have used Paterson tanks when I took a B&W night school course.

While the Jobo reels don't have the ball bearing rachet system, I actually find thiem easier to use. Of course the Paterson tanks were the property of the college and got a lot of use so maybe were worn or not cleaned properly.

Jobo equipment seems to be particularly well made.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the replies. I'm leaning toward getting a Jobo processor (if I win the auction), but at least I have a good idea regarding tanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My oldest Paterson reel is 30 years old and it still works fine, although it's very yellow with age. Then again I don't hurl the reels to the floor or anything.

Some people say that stainless steel reels are really easy to use, so maybe it is just an issue of personal choice.

I like the extenders that the Jobo tanks have but I have occasionally put it on the tank improperly and had major leaks. Oops.

I do film in batches so I like to have multiple tanks in different sizes, so the Paterson system has no real disadvantage for me.

If I had to use Jobo henceforth, I'd be fine. But I really do hate loading 120 film into those reels.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin