Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,488   Online: 929

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    Since your color exposure used 3 filters, which is a no-no under normal conditions, you had the equivalent of 110 Y, 65 M and 55 neutral density which cost you 0.55 log E or nearly 2 stops. (1 and 2/3 stops).
    You should never use 3 filters for either color or B&W unless you want to use it as a neutral density to increase exposure time.
    That's precisely why I did use it. I prefer to have printing times in the 10-30s range, and in fact my enlarger's timer (built into the Philips PCS150 controller) has a minimum print time of 5s. Using the filtration I used, I got an exposure time of 15s. Removing all the cyan filtration would have gotten an exposure time of about 5s.

FWIW, with this enlarger I generally need to use more than the 55 cyan filtration I mentioned in this example, since removing it would result in sub-5s print times. When doing color ringarounds I usually start with around 100C (and higher values for M and Y) and adjust exposure time and filtration as necessary. Even if I can, I don't usually bother removing "unnecessary" filtration unless my print times get above 30s or so; mucking with the dials once I've got things set to give me a good print just introduces more room for error. I'd rather wait another few seconds during exposure than have to redo a print because I mis-set some value.

All of this just goes to illustrate my original point: Modern color papers are very fast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    That's precisely why I did use it. I prefer to have printing times in the 10-30s range, and in fact my enlarger's timer (built into the Philips PCS150 controller) has a minimum print time of 5s. Using the filtration I used, I got an exposure time of 15s. Removing all the cyan filtration would have gotten an exposure time of about 5s.

FWIW, with this enlarger I generally need to use more than the 55 cyan filtration I mentioned in this example, since removing it would result in sub-5s print times. When doing color ringarounds I usually start with around 100C (and higher values for M and Y) and adjust exposure time and filtration as necessary. Even if I can, I don't usually bother removing "unnecessary" filtration unless my print times get above 30s or so; mucking with the dials once I've got things set to give me a good print just introduces more room for error. I'd rather wait another few seconds during exposure than have to redo a print because I mis-set some value.

All of this just goes to illustrate my original point: Modern color papers are very fast.
    Ummm. Well, I just stop down one stop to f11 instead of f8. Or, I use the half click between 11 and 16 if needed. My normal exposure on my Beseler Dichro 45S is 10" at f8 - 16 depending on negative and print size, and my normal sizes range from 35mm to 4x5 enlarged up to 16x20.

I know that currrent Endura color papers are about 1 stop faster than the Ektacolor Plus series which was about 1 stop faster than the Ektacolor 20 and Professional series.

But, if it works for you, use it.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin